This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Direct Tv + Cable internets

#1BuyersRemorse55Posted 2/11/2014 11:58:04 PM
I know this might not be the correct forum for this. Right now I have cox cable tv and internet. I want to cancel the cable tv and just use internet.

Each room in my house has its own cable jack in the wall. I have my computer modem and router in its own room with my pc's. I will have a tv in the living room and another tv in the bedroom . Will this effect internet at all or am I good?
#2SlaynPosted 2/12/2014 6:23:10 AM
.... what? No.

What is this????
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3crawdadPosted 2/12/2014 6:42:54 AM(edited)
Oooooooooook

Let me help you here.

Having been a peson who's worked in Cable I can tell you one thing.

If you EVER mix and match service providers like this, you have to accept the very good chance of the new Satellite guys either running new cabling in the house or effectively annexing existing cabling. So you'll likely you'll lose internet and have to make a few calls to both providers.

Unless you stop them from leaving before checking that both Internet AND Satellite are both functioning before the technician goes.

Many, many times have I had calls about this happening.

I'm not saying don't do it, just keep that in mind.
---
Expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#4kelemvorPosted 2/12/2014 9:54:24 AM
Funny, I *JUST* switched my Internet provider to cable for the first time, after having Satellite and DSL for many years.

I already had existing cable running through the floor from the previous owners, so it was a quick install. My new cable is cheaper than the DSL, and my speeds are higher than advertised. I'm getting around 34 Mb/s.

I don't really want to ditch my dish just yet, but bundling cable TV is an option a few months down the road after I find out how much the DirecTV retention department will offer me to stay onboard with a new contract.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#5BuyersRemorse55(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:07:32 AM
I just talked to the direct tv and they said they wont touch my existing wiring and will be adding there own wiring so it sounds like it should be good.

The tv portion of my cable is just way to much so I want to switch. But the internet is perfect and its also whats most important to me. I will pay premium price for internet if I have to.
#6LvthnPosted 2/12/2014 10:24:51 AM(edited)
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
I just talked to the direct tv and they said they wont touch my existing wiring and will be adding there own wiring so it sounds like it should be good.

The tv portion of my cable is just way to much so I want to switch. But the internet is perfect and its also whats most important to me. I will pay premium price for internet if I have to.

Doesn't matter what's said on the phone. Company policy is that they will do this - reality is that 90% of install techs will find the quickest, easiest way to get their own system up and running, because they get paid by the job, not the hour.

If you don't plan to run Direct to the room the modem is in, then at least they probably can reuse the cable in the other rooms. Just make sure they don't attempt to cut off the cable at the drop and take over everything - stay on them, I'm not kidding when I say many techs will do everything in their power to get out of work.

Also, there is one other thing to note. 99% of satellite techs have no damn idea how cable attenuation works, and it's a big deal for internet. Even if the install tech does as requested and leaves the room with the modem intact, he may still start removing splitters to replace with his own switch/diplexers (splitters are incompatable with most satellite installs, or can only be used in very specific ways). Removing splitters will raise your signal strength - which is not necessarily a good thing, there is absolutely such a thing as too much, and direct from the tap with no attenuation is usually far too high downstream, and far to low upstream. And on the other hand, splitters with open ports can introduce noise.

In short, after getting the Direct install you should probably ask your cable company to make a visit to reconfigure the cable, optimized for one room internet. It should only take them about 20-30 minutes to do that, but it could save you massive headaches later. The Direct tech isn't going to have a cable meter (he'll probably have a Super Sat Buddy which reads all satellite signals, but isn't compatable in any way with cable signal) and should not be relied on to properly attenuate the line for internet.