This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can anyone here help walk me through a clean hard drive sweep and reinstall?

#1HakuMan111386Posted 2/12/2014 9:23:54 AM
My PC runs somewhat slow and I want to do a clean re-installation of Windows 7. I have everything backed up. I tried everything I could, but it's still slow. I don't know what to do at this point. Is it possible for me to get help here, even maybe a link to a website with a step-by-step process? Thanks.
#2El MagnificoPosted 2/12/2014 9:39:23 AM
Basically, you boot off of the Windows install disc, then follow the prompts to install Windows. It's not complicated and it should be mostly self explanatory.

You can do a search in your search engine of choice for a Windows 7 install guide if you want a Windows 7 install guide that shows you the install process.

#3HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 9:43:34 AM
El Magnifico posted...
Basically, you boot off of the Windows install disc, then follow the prompts to install Windows. It's not complicated and it should be mostly self explanatory.

You can do a search in your search engine of choice for a Windows 7 install guide if you want a Windows 7 install guide that shows you the install process.

I see. What about when I want to just sweep the hard drive? Is it that complicated or what you described in your description sweeps the HDD along with reinstalling? Do you think a reinstalling will reset the PC to factory default internet browsing speeds?
#4arleasPosted 2/12/2014 9:45:58 AM
I believe when you start the installation it'll ask you if you want to install over an existing windows install (leaving the windows.old folder), or if you want to do a quick format or a full format. A full format will take a lot of time depending on how big your drive is, and you're probably not going to need it unless you think your hard drive is chock full of bad sectors, and if that's the case, you're better off just getting a new hard drive than trying to salvage the old one.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#5HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 9:50:42 AM
arleas posted...
I believe when you start the installation it'll ask you if you want to install over an existing windows install (leaving the windows.old folder), or if you want to do a quick format or a full format. A full format will take a lot of time depending on how big your drive is, and you're probably not going to need it unless you think your hard drive is chock full of bad sectors, and if that's the case, you're better off just getting a new hard drive than trying to salvage the old one.

Bad sectors? What's do you mean by that? Sorry, I don't mean to sound newbish. I don't know what you mean. Also, I think my HDD is fine. The anti-virus programs that I have installed haven't detected anything. I'm just looking for more speed now. I would hope that an HDD reinstall can bring the PC back to original and/or default speeds.
#6El MagnificoPosted 2/12/2014 10:21:27 AM
HakuMan111386 posted...
I see. What about when I want to just sweep the hard drive? Is it that complicated or what you described in your description sweeps the HDD along with reinstalling? Do you think a reinstalling will reset the PC to factory default internet browsing speeds?

When you install Windows you have two install options - "upgrade" and "custom". "Upgrade" as you may have guessed is to upgrade. What you want is "custom" to not do an upgrade.

The installer will ask what drive you want to install to and if you only have one drive, then that's even easier since you would just pick the only drive that is in the list. From there Windows will take care of any partitioning or formatting that may be necessary.

In your case it doesn't need to format. It'll just backup your old Windows install to a WINDOWS.OLD folder and do a fresh Windows install. You can later remove the old install by using the disk cleanup utility or just delete the folder.

You can manually mess around with partitions and formatting, but the Windows installer doesn't require you to and works fine without manual intervention if you just want to do a basic reinstall of Windows.

Reinstalling Windows can possibly correct software issues. It does not correct any hardware issues or external issues that may be affecting your internet speed. Without knowing what the cause of your internet speed issue I can't say if reinstalling WIndows will change anything. It could, but I would say probably not unless you have a malware issue that's causing problems.

#7HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:41:49 AM
Okay I've put in the Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 disc. It says it can't do what it needs to do without the Windows PE? What's Windows PE? Anyone here know?
#8El MagnificoPosted 2/12/2014 11:02:41 AM
It doesn't sound like you're using a Windows 7 install disc. I think you might be using a service pack install disc. The service pack install disc does not contain Windows. It just contains the service pack updates that you install to a PC that already has Windows 7 installed.

If you're using a pre-built PC, then most likely you'll have a recovery partition or a recovery disc rather than a typical Windows install disc. In that case, I would check your PC documentation on how whether you have a recovery partition and how to access it.