This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How reliable are SSD vs. standard hard drives?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How reliable are SSD vs. standard hard drives?

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
3 years ago#11
It's not really as simple as SSD > HDD (or the reverse). Anything requiring a lot of writes will kill an SSD pretty fast compared to a HDD. In something that might get moved around or bumped a bit, an SSD would be preferable due to how fragile HDDs can be. If an SSD is a tank, a HDD is a fort of cardboard by comparison. There's also obviously the problem of the price of storage.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#12
GTRagnarok posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
SSD's are unreliable to the extreme if we consider their 3-5 year life span.

Do you write a 100GB of data to your drive every day?

The 10 gig, maybe, its a server...
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: MadPinoRage

MadPinoRage
3 years ago#13
SSD reliability is increasing each year. I'm nearly certain portable computers have been using flash drives for a long time, which flash is akin or itself is a type of SSD. I think in the last several years portable computers have been switching over to SSD, so I think their reliability would be a critical factor in their development. As for desktops, I don't think they are standard, yet, but they still are very reliable as compared to maybe several years ago.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

User Info: Shadow_Cloud

Shadow_Cloud
3 years ago#14
After researching some more I think I'll go with the Samsung 840 EVO. The PRO may increase the lifespan significantly, but since I'm going to upgrade my laptop every 5-7 years; it should prove inconsequential.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How reliable are SSD vs. standard hard drives?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived