This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shoulder pain from using mouse

#1darkmaian23Posted 2/13/2014 7:03:11 PM
I work on a computer most of the day, and by the end of the day my right shoulder is inevitably sore. Why is this? Do I need a different kind of mouse? Does the mouse need to be at a different height? I don't know what to do, but it is becoming a nuance.
#2reincarnator07Posted 2/13/2014 7:04:07 PM
How is your posture while at your computer? That shouldn't be happening at all.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3PraetorXynPosted 2/13/2014 7:19:30 PM
I literally hunch over my desk most of the day because I have to in order to see the screen, and I have no shoulder problems; back problems, yes.

Since you mentioned work, I'm going to assume it's just some cheap Dell mouse or similar so it wouldn't have any extra weight in it or anything.

The only thing I could really think of is that you probably use the mouse on a tiny ass pad in a keyboard tray (or on top of the desk) like most people.

I use a PureTrak talent when I'm at home, which is 19" wide by 14" front to back, and around 1/2" thick. Great pad, and I'd assume that actually having some room to move your arm and shoulder would keep it from getting stiff.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#4EpicKingdom_Posted 2/13/2014 7:25:02 PM
Simply a posture issue. Or maybe you are sitting low, whereas your desk is higher or leveled with the tip of your shoulder.
---
You're not Master Race until the Gaben reveals himself before you. ALL of himself. https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#5dermoratrakenPosted 2/13/2014 7:34:09 PM
I use an end table to rest my right arm on so that it supports no weight.
#6darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 9:45:42 PM
My desk has a pull out space for the keyboard and I have to reach down to the move the mouse. Also, my current chair has tall arm rests. Is either of these things the problem? My posture is fine.
#7SnadadosPosted 2/13/2014 9:50:33 PM
darkmaian23 posted...
My desk has a pull out space for the keyboard and I have to reach down to the move the mouse. Also, my current chair has tall arm rests. Is either of these things the problem? My posture is fine.

I'd guess that's the issue.
If I use my mouse on my couch's arm rest my shoulder will get tired after a while.
My couch's arm rests are higher than the ones on my chair.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#8ZeraphLordSPosted 2/13/2014 9:50:40 PM
darkmaian23 posted...

tall arm rests are horrid for posture, and there's more to posture than just how you sit

you shouldn't be reaching down for the mouse either

it should be at a right angle from where your elbow hangs, and your wrist should be straight

if your armrests get in the way of that then get rid of them

if you want a temporary change of device to give your shoulder a rest, pick up a cheap tablet
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#9ukemandwnbuPosted 2/13/2014 9:52:42 PM
Buy yourself a gel keyboard wrist rest. As suggested, buy a better mouse pad as well.
#10darkmaian23(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 10:23:57 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! I'll see what I can do about getting my situation changed ASAP.