This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have a $300.00 budget for a new card......

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/13/2014 7:57:03 PM
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Okay, I'm curious. How did you wind up with an APU and a 9600GT? And for that matter, is a 9600GT even better than an APU anymore?

I buy stock PCs and back fit them with whatever. It's the only/cheapest way to balance out the hobby with work/family.

In this case, I never got around to upgrading the GPU as the 9600GT (From my last full custom build) can play everything I like.

Reason? Well, if you are married, you know why.

That actually seems a rather expensive way of going about it...

Part for part, not really. I never spend more than $500.00 on a stock PC and I cannibalize as much as I can.

But couldn't you just buy the relevant parts for less than that?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#12neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 8:09:46 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Okay, I'm curious. How did you wind up with an APU and a 9600GT? And for that matter, is a 9600GT even better than an APU anymore?

I buy stock PCs and back fit them with whatever. It's the only/cheapest way to balance out the hobby with work/family.

In this case, I never got around to upgrading the GPU as the 9600GT (From my last full custom build) can play everything I like.

Part for part, not really. I never spend more than $500.00 on a stock PC and I cannibalize as much as I can.

Off the top of my head:

Case: 100 (unless you use an old one, and I couldn't)
Motherboard: $100-150.00
RAM: 80.00
Processor: $100.00
64-bit Windows license: $90.00
Power Supply: $100.00

And I know I'm forgetting other things too that would also drive up the price, but that isn't including a GPU.

I needed too many new parts, otherwise I would have just cannibalized the whole old rig with new parts here and there and saved quite a bit.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/13/2014 9:25:51 PM
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...

Off the top of my head:

Case: 100 (unless you use an old one, and I couldn't)
Motherboard: $100-150.00
RAM: 80.00
Processor: $100.00
64-bit Windows license: $90.00
Power Supply: $100.00

And I know I'm forgetting other things too that would also drive up the price, but that isn't including a GPU.

I needed too many new parts, otherwise I would have just cannibalized the whole old rig with new parts here and there and saved quite a bit.

Case shouldn't need more than $60.
Motherboard, for a CPU that low end, should be closer to $50.
RAM aught to be closer to $50 as well.
Processor, pretty sure that CPU isn't worth $100 either. In terms of performance with a DGPU, more competitive in the $60-80 range, maybe lower.
Can't cannibalize a license?
PSU, for a system of that calibur, under $50. Maybe even as low as $20 for a solid unit. CX430s get damn cheap.
---
#14neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 9:38:10 PM(edited)
Yeah but how cheap is too cheap? The numbers I gave were low ball IMO. Too cheap and you may as well get a console.

And no, I didn't have a spare Windows 8 License.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/13/2014 9:53:42 PM
neoamerican posted...
Yeah but how cheap is too cheap? The numbers I gave were low ball IMO. Too cheap and you may as well get a console.

The cited prices will get you solid components that will last. In terms of performance, you'd be able to get better than you will on that APU.

Why not Windows 7?
---
#16neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 10:05:38 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...

The cited prices will get you solid components that will last. In terms of performance, you'd be able to get better than you will on that APU.

Why not Windows 7?

Dude, the PC is built, is a year old and dollar for dollar I spent less part for part at the time vice buying them all individually. I just want a new GPU now. You can rat race parts to death after the fact.
---
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/13/2014 11:17:02 PM
neoamerican posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
neoamerican posted...

Why not Windows 7?

Dude, the PC is built, is a year old and dollar for dollar I spent less part for part at the time vice buying them all individually. I just want a new GPU now. You can rat race parts to death after the fact.

I just really don't see the reasoning behind it. Prices haven't shifted much relative to performance outside the GPU market.
---
#18DarkAssAssIn051Posted 2/14/2014 2:38:51 AM(edited)
neoamerican posted...
AMD A8 5500 APU
Nvidia 9600 GT
8 GB Ram

with that apu whatever video card you get higher then a 6670 will bottleneck with that cpu like you'll get a performance boost yeah but in most games like skyrim, total war shogun 2, total war rome 2, guild wars 2 will not even improve much

for 300 bucks all jokes aside i'd upgrade the cpu to a AMD A10-7850K and get a R7 260X and run those in crossfire that'll be a worth wile upgrade for you motherboard
---
http://www.youtube.com/xdracu1aa1ucardx
#19neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 4:06:42 AM(edited)
DarkAssAssIn051 posted...
neoamerican posted...
AMD A8 5500 APU
Nvidia 9600 GT
8 GB Ram

with that apu whatever video card you get higher then a 6670 will bottleneck with that cpu like you'll get a performance boost yeah but in most games like skyrim, total war shogun 2, total war rome 2, guild wars 2 will not even improve much

for 300 bucks all jokes aside i'd upgrade the cpu to a AMD A10-7850K and get a R7 260X and run those in crossfire that'll be a worth wile upgrade for you motherboard

I just want to play on high settings consistently, which I can now on the 9600 GT (believe it or not, the card has been good to me these last few years). I want my PC to perform midgrade so it doesn't just become a money pit and I'm only buying a part annually.

It seems more sensible to get the 760 now and get a new Processor later as the price on those things drop annually and by the time it becomes an issue in 1 year or 2 with progressing graphics, it will become necessary if at all. No? I just don't see a need in upgrading a Quad core when quad core games aren't even out yet. And what about overclocking it?

Also what happened to the mantra of processors playing less of a role vice your GPU?

---
#20DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/14/2014 4:06:18 AM
neoamerican posted...
DarkAssAssIn051 posted...
neoamerican posted...
AMD A8 5500 APU
Nvidia 9600 GT
8 GB Ram

I just want to play on high settings consistently, which I can now on the 9600 GT (believe it or not, the card has been good to me these last few years). I want my PC to perform midgrade so it doesn't just become a money pit and I'm only buying a part annually.

It seems more sensible to get the 760 now and get a new Processor later as the price on those things drop annually and by the time it becomes an issue in 1 year or 2 with progressing graphics, it will become necessary. No?

It makes sense to get a videocard now and a processor later because videocards drop in price more quickly?
---