This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How are Western Digital internal HDD's? Do they have a high failure rate?

#1HakuMan111386Posted 2/14/2014 7:55:29 AM
I ask because my Western Digital broke on me for my PS3, so I am not sure if I can trust it. Not sure if it was just a random occurrence or not.
#2sefsefsefsefPosted 2/14/2014 7:59:56 AM
Some % of all hard drives will fail. WD in general is a good brand, but some models are more reliable than others, and some batches are more reliable than others. It's the same with all manufacturers.

IMO the best way to shop for hard drives is to go to newegg's hard drive section, and sort by "number of reviews," and then purchase any hard drive (whose price and capacity that you like) that has tons of reviews and 4+ stars. A hard drive that has only 3 stars might have an above average failure rate. This is not very scientific, but it's how I shop for hard drives when I need to.
#3HakuMan111386(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 8:02:29 AM
sefsefsefsef posted...
Some % of all hard drives will fail. WD in general is a good brand, but some models are more reliable than others, and some batches are more reliable than others. It's the same with all manufacturers.

IMO the best way to shop for hard drives is to go to newegg's hard drive section, and sort by "number of reviews," and then purchase any hard drive (whose price and capacity that you like) that has tons of reviews and 4+ stars. A hard drive that has only 3 stars might have an above average failure rate. This is not very scientific, but it's how I shop for hard drives when I need to.

I see. Well, this is the HDD that I bought and died on me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HCLNW6/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#4sefsefsefsefPosted 2/14/2014 8:58:32 AM
That drive got about 20% negative reviews on Newegg, but it still received a 4 star rating ... Hmmm ... maybe I need to rethink my HDD shopping criteria. What you really want when shopping for an HDD is a large sample set of user reviews, and a low "negative review" rate. For example, the highest rated 4 star laptop WD HDD with lots of reviews on Newegg has only 9% negative reviews, which is probably significantly more reliable than this 4 star HDD with 20% negative reviews.
#5Orestes417Posted 2/14/2014 10:42:36 AM
I don't put much stock in user reviews for hard drives at all. No matter what the actual quality is someone is going to have issues and those people are generally going to be more motivated to post about them. I would do a quick search for articles about known bad models like the old ibm deathstars and the 2012 Seagates that had the firmware issue though. And don't go by brand name, they all have bad models from time to time.

For my purposes I go by a combination of specs and warranty duration. WD Blacks tend to be solid as you don't put 5 year warranties on drives you expect to mass die within 3 years. It's just bad business sense
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#6Skul_Posted 2/18/2014 6:29:17 PM
Western Digital and Seagate are probably the best two brands. But it depends on which ones.

I use two of these and they work fine: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392773325&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+1tb+7200rpm
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#732x2zPosted 2/18/2014 6:43:20 PM
The only HDD's I've ever had die on me were of the Western Digital Brand. I had a 2TB, 400gb, and 250gb HDD that died. I generally avoid them.
#8Treason686Posted 2/18/2014 7:05:17 PM
To be honest, I've always had good luck with HDDs. I've had a couple die on me, but considering the big picture it's not a problem.

I've had multiple Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Samsung...

Generally, they're ready to be replaced before they die.

Essentially though, your options are WD, Toshiba, or Seagate for HDDs. To be honest, it doesn't really seem to matter much.
---
I <3 segfault