This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't fully understand macros...

#1Aadrian1234Posted 2/14/2014 9:04:15 AM
Isn't a macro a key that when you press it, automatically plays a string of inputs? So, i press a macro key, and it inputs 3 keys for me that i have programmed for them? I think this is what it is, but what games or functions would this be useful for, if this is the way a macro works? I don't think i'm fully understanding it.
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#2DrageiPosted 2/14/2014 9:09:23 AM
If there was any games or software where you found yourself using a series of actions that you could condense into one command, that would merit the use of macros.

For games, I suppose that would be a string of skills in such games like MOBAs.

Software in general, it would depend on what tasks you do.
#3KillerTrufflePosted 2/14/2014 9:14:29 AM
Especially in games where it's effective to chain skills together for maximum effect, and when each skill has a precise time to cast, macros can let you set up the most efficient way to cast it. Say skill 1 takes 0.75 seconds to cast, skill 2 takes 1.5 seconds, etc. You can set a macro up to trigger the next skill as *soon* as you're able, so they're chained together automatically. This lets you worry about other things than watching timers and stuff to press the next key yourself.

Could also be useful in fighting games where chaining together a set of precise moves to perform super moves is necessary.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4DragnfyrPosted 2/14/2014 9:42:00 AM
Also apparently you can make macros that compensate for the recoil of guns in FPS games. Of course you would have to make a new macro for each gun.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#5Aadrian1234(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 9:42:31 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Especially in games where it's effective to chain skills together for maximum effect, and when each skill has a precise time to cast, macros can let you set up the most efficient way to cast it. Say skill 1 takes 0.75 seconds to cast, skill 2 takes 1.5 seconds, etc. You can set a macro up to trigger the next skill as *soon* as you're able, so they're chained together automatically. This lets you worry about other things than watching timers and stuff to press the next key yourself.

Could also be useful in fighting games where chaining together a set of precise moves to perform super moves is necessary.

Oh, i see. I can't see myself using them that often, despite my new keyboard having up to 18 macros i can use with 6 G keys XD
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#6wildog2006Posted 2/14/2014 10:09:02 AM
I use them at work every day. Instead of hitting 2-3 keys for a keyboard shortcut, one key press. I've got some text boxes that need to be edited, similar to excel, where I can program the number of times I need to TAB to the right cell, enter the text I need, TAB to the OK button then exit and save the changes.

Turns a 10-15 second procedure into a single button press. Not that huge unless you know that I have to do that hundreds of times a day occasionally. Productivity like a boss.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''