This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Laptop died for 12 hours, now keyboard is giving me trouble

#1f_ayersPosted 2/14/2014 12:04:14 PM
Hi everyone, I left my laptop on overnight on Wednesday to download a game from Steam. When I woke up yesterday morning, the computer had turned off and simply wouldn't turn back on. When the AC adapter was plugged in, I could see a light indicating that it was charging, but pressing the power button was of no use.

I left university to go home for the weekend, and once I had made it back home, it finally turned on. It had reset the clock and installed some 30 windows updates. Everything seemed to be working fine, except the keyboard: typing on the keys bring up strings of characters unrelated to the actual key I pressed.

For instance, typing x brings up something like "3exc" and typing m brings up "OMB8" and so on. I'm going to assume that it's simply the keyboard and hopefully not the motherboard or anything else more expensive.

Any thoughts from any computer gurus out there? I can't think of anything that would've caused this except for water damage, but I never let myself have any liquids within a foot or so from the unit. It's also relatively new: less than 18 months old. I'm thinking I'll just buy a cheap USB keyboard for now and try to install a new keyboard at some later point in time.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
#2f_ayers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 12:27:52 PM
I should also mention that I plugged in a cheap USB keyboard so that I can actually use the laptop until I can get it fixed, and it's working perfectly fine. Does this mean that I may just need to replace the internal keyboard itself at some point in time?