This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft to end support for XP on April 8th

#21VIP86Posted 2/14/2014 9:28:11 PM
Ikari Gendo posted...
My company finally switched our department to win7 thankfully. Works well on our crappy machines surprisingly. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time helping out the older folks who don't like change.

My job is reluctant to switch. They are waiting until April to switch to.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#22LootmanPosted 2/14/2014 9:31:57 PM(edited)
http://www.zdnet.com/preparing-for-a-brave-new-world-without-windows-xp-support-7000021884/

This was news...
In October.
---
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman!
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg
#23SavenForeverPosted 2/14/2014 9:33:57 PM
It's so nice to see Microsoft support their products for such a long time, even if it becomes incredibly outdated and people need to move on.

Unlike Apple where if a new OS comes out, they immediately drop support and ask for you to upgrade or get left behind.
---
lolcaps
#24darkstar4221Posted 2/14/2014 10:01:16 PM(edited)
SavenForever posted...
It's so nice to see Microsoft support their products for such a long time, even if it becomes incredibly outdated and people need to move on.

Unlike Apple where if a new OS comes out, they immediately drop support and ask for you to upgrade or get left behind.

The problem in the os industry is that there are no compatible alternatives to windows or windows-like operating systems, mainly because windows is proprietary. If Microsoft actually cared about improving the quality of windows xp they would make it free and open source. Microsoft wouldn't want that because this would allow software vendors to create compatible alternatives to windows thus M$ would lose market-share and potential profits, so it's in Microsoft's best interest to keep the consumer locked to using windows forever.

Despite the so called "competition", there isn't a single operating system out there that's compatible windows, not linux or mac. What software or hardware works under windows won't work under any other os (think of pc games for example). Microsoft has never done anything good for tech industry in a long time, but the consumer is literally forced to use hence why they are a monopoly.
#25darkstar4221Posted 2/14/2014 9:57:36 PM(edited)
Oh Microsoft is worse than Apple, because at least Apple doesn't try to force the consumer to use their products. Apple is not interested in standardizing the pc industry while making their software incompatible with the competition. You don't have to use Apple products and your computer needs would be fine, but people buy Apple products anyway.

Unlike Microsoft where most software (such as PC games) will only work under windows. Microsoft can be nice and make their API open source thus making it easier to port games from windows to say Linux, but again Microsoft wouldn't ever do that, they don't have to because their code is protected by intellectual property laws (the source of Microsoft's monopoly power).
#26reincarnator07Posted 2/15/2014 12:58:46 AM
Do you ever post about anything else?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#27betatechPosted 2/15/2014 1:12:22 AM
VIP86 posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
My company finally switched our department to win7 thankfully. Works well on our crappy machines surprisingly. Unfortunately I spend a lot of time helping out the older folks who don't like change.

My job is reluctant to switch. They are waiting until April to switch to.

The company I work for is probably going to just keep using XP (probably due to the POS systems they use), I guess they're relying on them being locked down and behind a unix server to keep them safe......

That said, I'm still going to keep an XP install on my system, but only for compatibility reasons with some older apps and use a VM where possible.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#28elsmittyPosted 2/15/2014 1:20:27 AM
xp was a good os but it's about time to put it to pasture.
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#29PhilOnDezPosted 2/15/2014 6:03:43 AM
Golden Maven posted...
What were you using it for?

It wasn't mine, I was doing a little bit of work for a local library. They used it for the library software and playing audiobooks.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez