This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Small 'clicking' noise coming from PC on startup

#1DragonRaizenPosted 2/14/2014 4:47:31 PM
Plus, Windows sometimes gets into the loop of trying to start, fail before I get to the logo, starting again... I am able to start in Safe Mode though.

Is the Predator haunting my PC?
Seriously now, what should I be looking at?
Or is it that bloody Windows 7 update everyone was complaining about
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#2OreoBoy206Posted 2/14/2014 4:48:19 PM
Probably a hard drive failing..
#3Orestes417Posted 2/14/2014 4:50:22 PM
Grab a hard drive diagnostic that'll show you SMART status. Most manufacturer websites have them in the support section
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#4DragonRaizen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 4:57:55 PM
Yeah, I do have one of those. Not that I'm savy enough to understand it though.
My C: drive does have some warnings on "Reallocated Sectors Count" and "Reallocated Event Counts", the former displaying a "Critical" flag.
The D: drive seems okay so far, though I did notice a spike in "Raw Read Error Rate" from 41 to 48 in the last few days.
The software(HD Sentinel) does rank my health and performance for the two as "A-OK" though.

Also, I may not be the smartest chump on the stuff, but I have the impression the sound was coming from the back of the case, closer to the motherboard/CPU
---
-FREEZE!
Marvin
#5PokenubPosted 2/14/2014 5:00:06 PM(edited)
Wait no. Better one.

The hard-drive has a pain in all the diodes on its left side.

Yeah, only reason I made that "joke" was because of your sig :X
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#6Orestes417Posted 2/14/2014 5:02:03 PM
I'd be doing a backup of anything you find valuable on the C drive if it's showing a critical warning. Good time to look at any warranty status you may have too.
---
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
#7PhilOnDezPosted 2/14/2014 5:02:19 PM
My PC was doing that when I first built it. The CPU fan's power wire was barely touching the heatsink fan blades. I never had a problem with booting aside from forgetting to run power to my SSD though so I doubt it's the same problem.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8DarkLagunaPosted 2/14/2014 7:55:12 PM
Another probably-not-related thing, but a bad install of my graphics card drivers gave me the partial boot then complete restart thing (along with a click, which is what I assumed to be everything being shut off at once for a hard restart) that you're getting. I had to do a system restore and do an uninstall-reinstall of the driver to get it working right.

Though as others mentioned, even if by some slim chance you do have the same problem I did, critical warnings on your hard drive are never good.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#9WerdnAndreWPosted 2/14/2014 8:01:14 PM
My PC clicks (relay?) every time I turn on the PC. I think its the soundcard because when I plug in my headphones I can hear the same click.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#10DragonRaizen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 3:24:12 AM
Yeah, I had these critical warnings on my harddrive for a while. They worried me at first, but it really didn't amount to anything, though I'm always wary. Hard Drive Sentinel monitors my disk health/performance, so I'm not worried there.

That being said, installing some 88 updates Windows was asking for SEEMS to have solved the problem. Considering System Restoration showed my PC as having installed a "Critical" Windows Update back in Thursday, and the problem started Friday...

I'm going to bet this was a software issue. Thankfully.
---
-FREEZE!
Marvin