This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Small 'clicking' noise coming from PC on startup

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Small 'clicking' noise coming from PC on startup
3 years ago#1
Plus, Windows sometimes gets into the loop of trying to start, fail before I get to the logo, starting again... I am able to start in Safe Mode though.

Is the Predator haunting my PC?
Seriously now, what should I be looking at?
Or is it that bloody Windows 7 update everyone was complaining about
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
3 years ago#2
Probably a hard drive failing..
3 years ago#3
Grab a hard drive diagnostic that'll show you SMART status. Most manufacturer websites have them in the support section
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
3 years ago#4
Yeah, I do have one of those. Not that I'm savy enough to understand it though.
My C: drive does have some warnings on "Reallocated Sectors Count" and "Reallocated Event Counts", the former displaying a "Critical" flag.
The D: drive seems okay so far, though I did notice a spike in "Raw Read Error Rate" from 41 to 48 in the last few days.
The software(HD Sentinel) does rank my health and performance for the two as "A-OK" though.

Also, I may not be the smartest chump on the stuff, but I have the impression the sound was coming from the back of the case, closer to the motherboard/CPU
-FREEZE!
Marvin
3 years ago#5
Wait no. Better one.

The hard-drive has a pain in all the diodes on its left side.

Yeah, only reason I made that "joke" was because of your sig :X
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
3 years ago#6
I'd be doing a backup of anything you find valuable on the C drive if it's showing a critical warning. Good time to look at any warranty status you may have too.
Not looking for an ending to make the pieces fit
Need is always pending on how much you can get
3 years ago#7
My PC was doing that when I first built it. The CPU fan's power wire was barely touching the heatsink fan blades. I never had a problem with booting aside from forgetting to run power to my SSD though so I doubt it's the same problem.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
3 years ago#8
Another probably-not-related thing, but a bad install of my graphics card drivers gave me the partial boot then complete restart thing (along with a click, which is what I assumed to be everything being shut off at once for a hard restart) that you're getting. I had to do a system restore and do an uninstall-reinstall of the driver to get it working right.

Though as others mentioned, even if by some slim chance you do have the same problem I did, critical warnings on your hard drive are never good.
I feel a draft on my butt...
3 years ago#9
My PC clicks (relay?) every time I turn on the PC. I think its the soundcard because when I plug in my headphones I can hear the same click.
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
3 years ago#10
Yeah, I had these critical warnings on my harddrive for a while. They worried me at first, but it really didn't amount to anything, though I'm always wary. Hard Drive Sentinel monitors my disk health/performance, so I'm not worried there.

That being said, installing some 88 updates Windows was asking for SEEMS to have solved the problem. Considering System Restoration showed my PC as having installed a "Critical" Windows Update back in Thursday, and the problem started Friday...

I'm going to bet this was a software issue. Thankfully.
-FREEZE!
Marvin
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Small 'clicking' noise coming from PC on startup

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived