This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how's multiplayer for infinity engine games?

#1GTL581Posted 2/15/2014 8:00:48 AM
been trying to convince my friends to lan icewind dale with me ever since they became too lazy to play good ol' pen and paper d&d, but i honestly have no idea how it would work. i do know that for solo play in iwd you have to create a six person party, when they come into my game do they take control of one of these characters, or do they create their own and import them? also, does just the host control pausing and management of npcs in the party? also the save system... how does that work?
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#2GwendalPosted 2/15/2014 8:28:42 AM
GTL581 posted...
i do know that for solo play in iwd you have to create a six person party, when they come into my game do they take control of one of these characters, or do they create their own and import them? ?

You can do both. When you start a session, you can assign control of each character slot to a particular player at the party management screen (or whatever it's called). If you prefer, you can then delete the character in that slot and create a new one, just like you can whenever you load a single-player save in IWD.

Pause privileges can be assigned on per-player basis, IIRC.
---
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings 2 (PC), DKC Tropical Freeze (Wii U), The Banner Saga (PC)
#3Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/15/2014 8:30:39 AM
Only things I remember are that one player acts as the host and it is in their computer that the save file is kept.

Either player may talk to NPCs and progress the story.

Also IIRC, pause is disabled so....real time it is. (or was that NWN?)
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#4jake-sfPosted 2/15/2014 9:38:40 AM
In the Infinity engine you can definitely assign pause (as well as a few other basic abilities) to specific or all players.

Frankly, I always hated multiplayer on those games. You might as well play in front of the same screen, its less cumbersome. The only real problem is pause is kind of awkward, and its also slower than in single player.

Saving works just the same as in single player.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#5capgamerPosted 2/15/2014 9:40:08 AM
I tried to play Icewind Dale 2 with a friend and we weren't able to get it to work. You might have to use a 3rd party program of some sort... the lan settings wouldn't work for us. Neverwinter Nights had no problem, but it's on a different engine, etc.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#6GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 10:36:48 AM
capgamer posted...
I tried to play Icewind Dale 2 with a friend and we weren't able to get it to work. You might have to use a 3rd party program of some sort... the lan settings wouldn't work for us. Neverwinter Nights had no problem, but it's on a different engine, etc.

got it working using an easy fix i found after digging around google, just alt+enter to windowed mode before creating the game, and it will work great.

thanks for all of the help guys, i really look forward to playing this with others instead of controlling and microing 6 different people, i get enough of that from bg and planescape. a mindless dungeon crawl will be refreshing
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add