This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming laptop

#1ZacTBPosted 2/16/2014 10:58:18 AM
I know people generally dont like recommending laptops for gaming, but I only want to play a few games like Day Z on it, and I don't even care about playing on the highest setting (just as long as it runs well). I saw this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G500s-Laptop-Intel-Black/dp/B00GUIZP0Q/ref=sr_1_47?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1392571994&sr=1-47&keywords=laptop+i7

The price is quite good (budget is around 650 or about $1000), but I have no idea about specs or anything, so what sort of games would this be able to play? I don't want to get a computer either because I need a laptop anyway, so does this one look good for that? Also if not, does anyone have any recommendations for other laptops? Thanks.
#2OldSorrowPosted 2/16/2014 11:03:00 AM
-INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4000
-1000$

No such thing as gaming laptop.
---
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.
#3ShubPosted 2/16/2014 11:03:07 AM
That's not going to play DayZ well at all regardless of settings, sorry.
It would play 2D games fine though.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4ZacTB(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 11:06:46 AM
Oh right okay, do you know any laptops that will?
#5ATARIJAWAPosted 2/16/2014 11:08:38 AM
You picked the one game that is almost impossible to give you an answer on. The game is 20% finished. Basically the engine and servers are in place and nothing else. 90% of the in game content, and gameplay mechanics have not even been programmed yet and they haven't even attempted to implement client side optimization yet (getting the game to work well with infividual hardware components). The game runs like crap now even for people with $3000.00 rigs. It's in pre-alpha and is at best a year away from beta and a year and a half away from final release. It's probably further away. Right now it's more of an engine and server stress test than a game. What people are playing now is no where even close to what the final game is going to be.

That being said are you aware the laptop you picked doesn't have a graphics card? It's pretty bottom of the barrel. It would play games a few years old like Skyrim on medium settings. By the time Dayz is finished you may be able to play it on lowest settings at 720p, but again it's one of the only games that is impossible to say due to where it's at in it's development.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#6ShubPosted 2/16/2014 11:16:24 AM(edited)
I don't know if they will be priced in line with your budget in the UK, but you should look at the Y series, e.g. Y400/Y410/Y500/Y510 if you want something more game-worthy.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7ATARIJAWAPosted 2/16/2014 11:18:45 AM
ZacTB posted...
Oh right okay, do you know any laptops that will?

The top of your price range is right at the cut off for bottom of the barrel gaming laptops. I don't think you're going to be happy performance wise in that range. Nothing like spending a thousand bucks and not being able to play the newest games 2 years later. I usually spend between $1300.00 and $1500.00 every 2 years on a new gaming laptop because the old one will no longer play the newer games on medium settings. Just replaced an i7 8 gb ram and a 2 gb 560m I got around nov 2011 because it just couldn't run games decently anymore. It only had a 1600x900 resolution display anyway. Unless you have that kind of money to throw away ( I actually write most of it on my taxes so it's not so bad for me) every couple of years you're probably going to be dissapointed in laptop gaming. It is not for most people. Unless you travel a lot there's really no reason to own one over a desktop. They are too heavy and bulky to use for school and if you're going to be gaming at home you're better off with a desktop unless you absolutely have to have a laptop. If you do buy the best one you absolutely can.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#8SlaynPosted 2/16/2014 11:22:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9TimePharaohPosted 2/16/2014 4:52:32 PM
lolgaminglaptop
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#10PharohofLaptopsPosted 2/20/2014 5:43:26 PM
No such thing.