This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

27 inches wow... Curious question about monitors.

#1GGearXPosted 2/16/2014 11:24:06 AM
Yeah its really big. Hardcore big. So big that it left me with a big question.

What's the difference between me getting a monitor and a TV of the same size? Aren't monitors faster or something?

And another question. Since its really big and literally covers my entire desk, isn't having something that big in my face all the time bad? I mean I was told TVs were bad for your eyes if you sat close. Are monitors an exception? I mean it's a monitor. So I can sit close to it right? I'm confused now that I got sick a big monitor for a great price..
---
GT- NEON KnLght
So like. You wanna play?
#2ShubPosted 2/16/2014 11:25:22 AM
TVs often have worse input lag.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 11:28:58 AM
Shub posted...
TVs often have worse input lag.

So monitors are better for gaming then? I played CoD BO2 yesterday and for some reason I was always shooting as soon as I saw them felt weird like they couldn't react fast enough (this was on 360)
---
GT- NEON KnLght
So like. You wanna play?
#4SlaynPosted 2/16/2014 11:36:08 AM
It's kind of hard to explain without going in to technical details. First of all you can get a 1440p 27" monitor which no TV can do except for a 4k TV, but that is a whole other ballgame with it's own issues.

Second, the input lag on a TV is usually much worse. A monitor is made for computing, so of them only have one input like straight up DVI. Monitors with only a DVI input have less lag than multi input monitors/tv.

TV also have tuners and a scaler built in, because they are made for watching a variety of video sources in them while a computer monitor you just generally run at the native resolution. So you won't be hooking up an xbox to a computer monitor. The scalers and tuners drive up the cost of a TV, so essentially you would pay a lot more for the same quality TV as a monitor.

I went from a 37" 1080p tv to a 27" 1440p monitor. Really didn't miss the size difference because I put the monitor slightly closer and it is about the same viewing size. I put the monitor in front of the TV to adjust the distance, the edge of the monitor are in the same viewing distance as the edge of the TV.

Just go with the monitor unless you are trying to save space like me. I liked being able to switch between computer, tv, and ps3 on the same screen. I prefer the better graphics of the monitor.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#5GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 5:30:21 PM
Bump!
---
GT- NEON KnLght
So like. You wanna play?
#6MaxCHEATER64Posted 2/22/2014 12:53:49 PM
TLDR of Slayn's post:

TVs are built for viewing things, not manipulating things. They fall short in many ways compared to monitors for gaming purposes, such as input lag and better contrast/colors. It's generally a bad idea to get a monitor for gaming purposes.

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM