This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you use Steam and GOG overseas? Any PC gamers from the Philippines?

#11ggf162Posted 2/16/2014 2:42:10 PM
thegreatsquare posted...
First of all, GoG is based in Europe, so it works overseas in America. As for Steam, I'm pretty sure it will work if the Philippines, though some game licenses might not.

---
J-"RPG"s don't deserve the title, when they are basically TBS games with adventure elements.
#12Golden_GonadsPosted 2/16/2014 3:29:06 PM
JsReznor posted...
I went from Steam in the US to Australia. You have to change your region in the Steam settings to make purchases from that area. As Steam only accepts USD, you'll have to pay foreign transaction fees if you're not using dollars. They said they are expanding the currencies Steam accepts, but it hasn't happened yet.

Hunh? Steam accepts a lot of local currencies - Pounds, Euros, US dollars, AU dollars, Zelda money, and a lot more besides.

GOG has all its transactions in USD's.
#13BilliePilgrimPosted 2/16/2014 3:35:52 PM
I have been unaffected by my move to Turkey. Steam still treats me like I'm in the US.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
#14JsReznorPosted 2/16/2014 3:40:07 PM
Golden_Gonads posted...
JsReznor posted...
I went from Steam in the US to Australia. You have to change your region in the Steam settings to make purchases from that area. As Steam only accepts USD, you'll have to pay foreign transaction fees if you're not using dollars. They said they are expanding the currencies Steam accepts, but it hasn't happened yet.

Hunh? Steam accepts a lot of local currencies - Pounds, Euros, US dollars, AU dollars, Zelda money, and a lot more besides.

GOG has all its transactions in USD's.

Steam most certainly does not accept Australian dollars.

What currencies does the Steam store support?

The Steam store offers pricing in United States Dollars (USD), British Pounds (GBP), Russian Rubles (RUB), Brazilian Reais (BRL) or Euros (EUR) depending upon your location. Exchange rate and certain fees may be charged by your credit card company or bank.

So someone in the Philippines will be paying conversion fees.
#15DC07301981(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 3:43:09 PM
Cool! Again, thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.
#16Golden_GonadsPosted 2/16/2014 4:04:15 PM
JsReznor posted...

Steam most certainly does not accept Australian dollars.

Hunh. Could have sworn it did. Still, according to http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3403155/support-for-12-new-currencies-planned-for-steam-including-australian-and-new-zealand-dollars that's supposed to change this year - from that page:
Steam currently supports United States Dollars (USD), British Pounds (GBP), Russian Rubles (RUB), Brazilian Reais (BRL) and Euros (EUR), and the presentation slide indicates that during 2014 Valve plans to expand on that to also include Australian Dollars (AUD), Thailand Baht (THB), Canadian Dollars (CAD), Norwegian Krone (NOK), Mexican Pesos (MXN), New Zealand Dollars (NZD), Philippines Peso (PHP), Malaysia Ringgit (MYR), Indonesia Rupiah (IDR), Singapore Dollar (SGD) Ukraine Hryvna (UAH), and Japanese Yen (JPY).

So whether that's a good or bad thing, I've no idea.