This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what does some of this mean?

#1digitalwill2000Posted 2/18/2014 4:02:03 AM(edited)
I'm picking out a custom PC but there are somethings that I just dont understand and I'm afraid I'll break it all.

Overclocking: If a computer is overclocked is this easily reversed and/or should I just avoid it if it decreases pc life?

GHz: The higher this is the better?

Graphics Card: I have a lot of money to pour into the best graphics card and the best processor so which are they? Do I want nvidia or amd? I notice that with nvidia the best is 780ti? But then why does it have less MB than the best 770 card? Does that matter?
Also what is xeon and should I get that?

Memory: apparently you shouldnt have more than you need? So how much do I need with the best processor and graphics card?

Thankyou for the help
---
There was once a time when trolling didnt mean trolling. It meant 'criticism'. Somewhere along the line people stopped being able to take it.
#2Blobs_Posted 2/18/2014 4:23:41 AM
digitalwill2000 posted...
I'm picking out a custom PC but there are somethings that I just dont understand and I'm afraid I'll break it all.

Overclocking: If a computer is overclocked is this easily reversed and/or should I just avoid it if it decreases pc life?

Graphics Card: I have a lot of money to pour into the best graphics card and the best processor so which are they? Do I want nvidia or amd? I notice that with nvidia the best is 780ti? But then why does it have less MB than the best 770 card? Does that matter?

Memory: apparently you shouldnt have more than you need? So how much do I need with the best processor and graphics card?

Thankyou for the help

First of all, GHz is the shortened version of Giga-Hertz, and it is essentially a measure of how fast the processor's "clock" is. A processor's clock is an all-encompassing cadence that keeps the processor working at a certain rate.

When you "overclock", you effectively make the processor run faster than it would normally, and will create more heat, and cause your processor to not live as long. In return however, your processor will be faster.

GHz: Yes, more GHz is better. HOWEVER, keep in mind that it is FAR FROM the only thing that describes a processor's power. For example, an intel pentium (low end processor) could be running at 4.2 GHz, and an i7 (high end processor) could be running at 4.1 GHz. While the pentium is running at 4.2 GHz it would still be miles slower than the i7.

Processors/Graphics Cards: The best intel processor right now is the i7 4960X, which is a $1000 processor. However, the processor that will give you a good bang for your buck, in the higher end spectrum, would be the i7 4770k. For graphics cards, it doesn't really matter which route you take in terms of AMD vs Nvidia. However, if I remember correctly the 780ti (Nvidia's highest end card) performs better than the R9 290x (AMD's highest end card), so since money isn't an issue, I'd say get the 780ti.

Also, you said that the best 770 has more MB than the 780ti. I'm going to guess you're referring to the amount of VRAM (video RAM) the cards have. The 770 you were looking at was probably a special kind of 770, where more VRAM was added from the stock amount. The 780ti is still the superior card.

Memory: If you have enough money to get top of the line processors/graphics cards, chances are you have enough money to get a lot of memory too. And while most people say you don't NEED more than 8-16 gb of memory, more is still better. The thing is just most applications as of now won't use more than 8 gb.
---
is haha
#3TropicMoon10Posted 2/18/2014 4:24:37 AM

Overclocking is manually tweaking your hardware (mainly CPU and graphics) to increase performance. The better your cooling is, the more performance you get. As for stability and PC life - again, if you have a decent cooler you're good. I'd avoid anything regarding overclocking for now. It can get overwhelming for a newcomer and you don't really need the performance boost yet.

Yes and no. Gigahertz only matters if you're comparing processors using the same architecture and series. An i7 4xxx with an i7 4xxx, an FX-83xx with an FX-83xx, etc. Otherwise the Ghz don't mean anything at all. The best way to find out how something performs is to just ask around or check the internet for benchmarks honestly.

Graphics Card:

Graphics memory depends on your resolution. For something like 1080p 3gb is just fine. The 780ti is the best thing Nvidia's got at the moment. AMD has the R9 290 which is more competitive with the 780 (non-ti model). Generally Nvidia cards are cooler and quieter with arguably better features, while AMD cards give you better overall performance for less money (but they have been rising in price lately).

Also what is xeon and should I get that?

Xeon processors are used in workstation computers for professionals who need that kind of hardware. Completely unnecessary for a regular household/gaming system (I'm assuming that's what you need).

8gb is the standard for today. You'll only need more if you multitask A GREAT DEAL or you edit really large photos/videos. Other than that 8gb is fine. You can always upgrade later too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#4daemon_danPosted 2/18/2014 4:27:09 AM
There was once a time when trolling didnt mean trolling. It meant 'criticism'. Somewhere along the line people stopped being able to take it.

There is a huge difference between criticism and trolling, sir. In your quest for a profound signature, you took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#5LordSeiferPosted 2/18/2014 4:57:45 AM
having more ram wont hurt you it just wont help
---
^ this
#6Lonestar2000Posted 2/18/2014 5:26:59 AM
Don't buy AMD GPUs, they are overpriced to hell.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#7clowningPosted 2/18/2014 6:26:46 AM
I recommend NVidia over AMD. From years of personal experience, I can say that AMD drivers are very unreliable.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#8Hi CPosted 2/18/2014 6:49:00 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
Don't buy AMD GPUs, they are overpriced to hell.

No, they are overvalued thanks to crypto miners.

NVIDIA cards are "overpriced to hell".
---
You'll be my John G.
#9digitalwill2000(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 7:15:42 AM
thanks guys this is really helpful

except the guy who got butthurt over a sig, probably a loser who cant take criticism haha
---
#10MasterDonGeroPosted 2/18/2014 8:09:27 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Yes and no. Gigahertz only matters if you're comparing processors using the same architecture and series. An i7 4xxx with an i7 4xxx

LGA 1150 and LGA 2011 4th generation i7s do not have the same IPC. You had it right the first time, when you said they need to be the same architecture, but LGA 1150 i7s are Haswell, while LGA 2011 i7s are Ivy Bridge-E. Also, keep in mind that there are other factors that play into a CPU's performance, even in the same architecture and series.

Graphics memory depends on your resolution.

There are many situations where the amount of VRAM necessary is not solely based on resolution.

For something like 1080p 3gb is just fine.

In general, yes.

The 780ti is the best thing Nvidia's got at the moment. AMD has the R9 290

You mean the R9 290X?

Xeon processors are used in workstation computers for professionals who need that kind of hardware. Completely unnecessary for a regular household/gaming system

There are plenty of consumer Xeons meant for general use. Just look at that guy that's been touting the "PS4 Killer" everywhere. If you plan to get a locked i5/i7, and you don't need the IGP (though some Xeons have an IGP), you might want to get an equivalent Xeon to save some cash (though TC seems like they have money to blow). They're usually cheaper.

i7 4770 for $309.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900
Xeon E3-1230 v3 for $249.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906

You pay $60 less at the cost of losing .2 GHz.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom