This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Banished came out today, are you getting it?

#31clowningPosted 2/18/2014 7:29:50 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this game, it looks really good. Not sure if $20 is a good deal for just anyone, but I like these sim types of games.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#32DV8ingSourcesPosted 2/18/2014 7:31:37 PM
It looks interesting but I have way too many 'interesting' games I already own that I need to play. Probably a pass. Wish I had more time and motivation to play games still.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#33MortalDangerPosted 2/18/2014 8:20:09 PM
Well, now my population is dying out like nobodies business. They stopped making babies because I didn't have enough houses. No I have nearly half the work force I had a few seasons ago and am having a real hard time replacing those workers.
---
God Bless America.
#34Hicks233Posted 2/18/2014 8:48:37 PM
I like how it forces a trade off. We've been so used to rushing to build housing and production facilities in strategy games for years and going on the assumption that things will just catch up. This time if you get ahead of yourself it wallops you.

Sure the slower pace might be off-putting in some cases but when you see a town slowly but solidly growing and knowing that you stand a good chance of comfortably making it through the winter then it's all the more satisfying. Got to admit that I liked how if in some cases you build more houses and couples that were together have split up and the kids have chosen to stick with one parent and all you can do is shout at the computer "I wanted those houses for first time movers!!" - I did feel sorry for one guy who was left on his own after his wife left him and the kid grew up and moved out. Particularly as he was right next to a house FULL of kids. Odd how these little characters can take on meaning like that.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#35Rapscallion84Posted 2/19/2014 2:02:06 AM
My concern is that it will end up like SimCity (2014). I spent one day playing it, got a city fully developed that filled the small boundaries and then stagnated. There was nothing left to do because the city was self sustaining and could run on its own if I walked away from the computer.
#36Sk0rbutPosted 2/19/2014 2:20:12 AM
I like city builders, but the hardcore survival "make a mistake and your whole settlement goes under" design philosophy kind of puts me off. I think I'll wait for Tropico 5.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#37iPr0kkaFTWPosted 2/20/2014 5:16:04 PM
This game is very difficult. Most of my settlers have died of old age and some killed working in the quarry to gather stone just to build the church... Anyway, the cemetery filled up with graves of all the original settlers. The nomads (nine of them accepted, five are children) are having a difficult time managing the village now.

My only problem is that why did the original settlers stopped breeding and having babies? The most I had was 30 and it stopped there. It was too late when I finally received my first wave of nomads because all the original settlers have died or are too old (beyond 80+).

How in the hell do I get more citizens to mate?! They stop making babies at some point even though happiness is five stars and healthy is four and a half hearts.
#38jessica73Posted 2/20/2014 6:55:47 PM
This looks right up my alley, I like games like Gnomoria and DF, and what's functioning of Towns, so I was hyped just reading the summary >.> I might go ahead and get it instead of waiting on a sale.
---
http://i.imgur.com/uAzPe.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9cnzS9o.gif
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/thebotqueen.png http://raptr.com/badge/thebotqueen/ach.png
#39MortalDangerPosted 2/20/2014 6:58:12 PM
iPr0kkaFTW posted...
This game is very difficult. Most of my settlers have died of old age and some killed working in the quarry to gather stone just to build the church... Anyway, the cemetery filled up with graves of all the original settlers. The nomads (nine of them accepted, five are children) are having a difficult time managing the village now.

My only problem is that why did the original settlers stopped breeding and having babies? The most I had was 30 and it stopped there. It was too late when I finally received my first wave of nomads because all the original settlers have died or are too old (beyond 80+).

How in the hell do I get more citizens to mate?! They stop making babies at some point even though happiness is five stars and healthy is four and a half hearts.

You gotta build them houses. They'll only have babies when they move into a house by themselves.

My problem is now that I got to about a population of 60 adults, with an average of 5k food per season...then 20 babies were born. I'm pretty sure it's gonna even itself out now lol.
---
God Bless America.
#40Suns1344(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 7:00:48 PM(edited)
iPr0kkaFTW posted...

You need to build more houses. Once there's a male/female pair above 10 or so (starting 'em young...) they can move into their own house and they'll have a few kids.

Edit: A minute too slow...