This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

batch file taskkill

#1I_am_BenderPosted 2/19/2014 12:17:47 AM
trying to just kill all user processes, except explorer, but doing it in a batch file, and there's stuff after taskkill that never gets processed because taskkill kills itself and the batch file. tried using the /fi imagename ne cmd, or taskkill, butit still kills itself. any ideas?
---
I am Bender. Please insert girder.
#2PokenubPosted 2/19/2014 12:28:07 AM
For what purpose?

Just use Task Manager to kill the ones you don't want running at the moment, msconfig/services.msc to stop the things booting up.. Other than that, there should be no need to write a batch file to kill all of a users tasks.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3PokenubPosted 2/19/2014 12:30:19 AM
And while it might take a little longer, simply writing out a batch file to taskkill /f /im all usual processes will be easier than adding exceptions to stop cmd and windows from exiting.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#4I_am_Bender(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 1:22:01 AM
The computer is a work PC. I do not have admin rights, and do not have access to task manager or a command prompt. If I want to do anything in a command prompt I have to make a batch file and put a pause at the end of the file to see the result. Taskkill does work, but I have to use tasklist first to see process names. The IT department has a habit of installing all the company bloatware that I don't even use and having it run all the time, taking up system resources, and slowing down the programs that I do use, making them unreliable. Since I can't uninstall, I just taskkill /f /t. And since I don't want to have to come back to the batch file every few weeks to re-write a dozen taskkill lines, it's just easier to taskkill everything, then use start command to start the programs I actually use, which rarely changes. The batch file also does other things, like deleting stupid shortcuts that IT keeps repeatedly putting in IE's favorites that have no bearing to my job. I know I could use other browsers but the internal programs require IE and don't work on Chrome or Firefox

The only exceptions I want taskkill not to kill are explorer and the batch file. So that's what, 3 filters? explorer, cmd, taskkill? I would think it would only take like 30 seconds to write one line, but apparently it doesn't like to work as I think it works.
---
#5Davel23Posted 2/19/2014 5:47:02 AM
Trying to circumvent your IT department's standard configuration is a good way to get fired.
---
Your mom's box.
#6EGMRULZPosted 2/19/2014 9:52:23 AM
^ That and, you're pretty much crippling your system by disabling antivirus and other important components. Tread carefully or you're going to put the system at risk.
---
PC & Consoles > Everything
#7MarzguerillaPosted 2/19/2014 9:54:58 AM
Davel23 posted...
Trying to circumvent your IT department's standard configuration is a good way to get fired.

Speak for yourself.
---
MOoooOOoooOOoooOOOooOOO
#8Treason686Posted 2/19/2014 9:57:59 AM
Marzguerilla posted...
Davel23 posted...

Speak for yourself.

What does that mean?
---
I <3 segfault
#9I_am_Bender(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:23:41 AM
Perhaps you guys missed a word in the opening post. I'm trying to kill all USER processes, not system processes. The antivirus program runs as a system process.
---