This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here used Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here used Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro?
1 year ago#1
I just saw that I have access to it on Dreamspark. I'm finding conflicting information if it can work as a normal desktop OS or not.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
1 year ago#2
It's like Windows 7 except where instead of a Start menu you have a Start screen that is somewhat similar to Steam's Big Picture mode.
1 year ago#3
I have windows 8.1, I'm asking specifically about the embedded version available on dreamspark
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
1 year ago#4
It does work on x86 hardware, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to use Windows Embedded (regardless of version) except as a science project.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
1 year ago#5
That's my point, but some people are saying it is basically windows 8.1 VL with some added thin client capabilities only.
---
1 year ago#6
Shub posted...
It does work on x86 hardware, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to use Windows Embedded (regardless of version) except as a science project.

Windows Embedded is a great OS for thin clients. All our HP thin clients come with embedded and it makes administration of them a breeze.

For a main OS though? Yeah, not so much.
1 year ago#7
unclee posted...
Shub posted...

Windows Embedded is a great OS for thin clients. All our HP thin clients come with embedded and it makes administration of them a breeze.

For a main OS though? Yeah, not so much.

Unclee, are they embedded 7 or 8.1?
---
1 year ago#8
We're still using Embedded 7 (with a few Embedded XP machines floating around).

Our next batch will probably have Embedded 8.1 on them though.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone here used Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived