This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here used Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro?

#1ChetyrePosted 2/19/2014 6:44:51 AM
I just saw that I have access to it on Dreamspark. I'm finding conflicting information if it can work as a normal desktop OS or not.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#2El MagnificoPosted 2/19/2014 6:51:49 AM
It's like Windows 7 except where instead of a Start menu you have a Start screen that is somewhat similar to Steam's Big Picture mode.
#3Chetyre(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 6:53:33 AM
I have windows 8.1, I'm asking specifically about the embedded version available on dreamspark
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#4ShubPosted 2/19/2014 6:59:00 AM
It does work on x86 hardware, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to use Windows Embedded (regardless of version) except as a science project.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5Chetyre(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 7:01:45 AM
That's my point, but some people are saying it is basically windows 8.1 VL with some added thin client capabilities only.
---
#6uncleePosted 2/19/2014 7:02:16 AM
Shub posted...
It does work on x86 hardware, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to use Windows Embedded (regardless of version) except as a science project.

Windows Embedded is a great OS for thin clients. All our HP thin clients come with embedded and it makes administration of them a breeze.

For a main OS though? Yeah, not so much.
#7Chetyre(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 7:20:41 AM
unclee posted...
Shub posted...

Windows Embedded is a great OS for thin clients. All our HP thin clients come with embedded and it makes administration of them a breeze.

For a main OS though? Yeah, not so much.

Unclee, are they embedded 7 or 8.1?
---
#8uncleePosted 2/19/2014 7:31:04 AM
We're still using Embedded 7 (with a few Embedded XP machines floating around).

Our next batch will probably have Embedded 8.1 on them though.