This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I haven't been enjoying AAA titles as much, recommendations?

#11triple sPosted 2/19/2014 12:08:54 PM
Rayman Legends and Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed are two obvious choices.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#12SinisterSlayPosted 2/19/2014 12:10:01 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I think part of the problem is AAA games are pretty much 90% production value and very little fun. Now and then a decent AAA game will come out, but so much money is invested into those games, studios/publishers are willing to take very few risks with them. Smaller, lower-budget indie titles are free to basically do whatever they want, so you get a lot more unique stuff out of them.

That's the reason I believe I've lost a lot of interest in AAA - more often than not they're just rehash with little to no innovation any more.

But then why do I eagerly await the sequel to warband? It's just a rehash.... of a rehash.

It must piss off these AAA developers when indie and small studio games get better reviews.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13KillerTrufflePosted 2/19/2014 12:14:42 PM
Obviously lots of people still play the AAA games - they're making money, or they'd stop making them. But a lot of us do get tired of the same old s*** with a new facelift every few months.

I understand how business works, but it would still be pretty cool if there was a publisher out there willing to push the envelope a bit more. At least we do have easy access to indie games that give us plenty of variety now.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14johnny_payPosted 2/19/2014 12:18:39 PM
banished looks interesting if your into city building
#15arleasPosted 2/19/2014 12:49:25 PM
The problem with AAA is that they're made to appeal to the widest market possible. If you remember the older days of gaming, getting 200k or 500k sales was Blockbuster hit territory. Now they consider it a failure if it doesn't sell 6 million units.

I don't think that *I* have changed so much that AAA games are just not as fun because Occasionally I still find one I can enjoy. It's the AAA game industry that has changed.

Indie game studios can take risks because for them, 100k sales is still a huge deal. Medium sized devs can get their gaming budgets from kickstarter and focus on what a smaller group of fans want. It's just a matter of how niche your favorite genre is (according to the AAA game industry).
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#16Mr_DelcroixPosted 2/19/2014 12:53:04 PM
fatboy44 posted...
In the past couple years these are the games I've enjoyed most:

Rayman Origins
Terreria
Brothers
Cave Story Plus
Braid
Sonic Allstars Racing
World of Goo
Super Meat boy
Trine
Trine 2
Rochard
etc etc

Can anyone recommend me some games along these lines that I might have missed? I especially loved throwback titles like Rayman Origins and Sonic Allstars.

>I haven't been enjoying AAA titles as much.

Gee, I wonder why?
#17BogePosted 2/19/2014 12:56:25 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Maybe as we get older we dislike AAA games?

That's sort of been my experience.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#18foodeater4Posted 2/19/2014 12:58:38 PM
Its just what happens when you get older I think. You have less time so you don't want to waste it with crap. Most of the AAA games I have bought in the last few years are remakes or sequals to series I already like, MAss Effects, Tomb Raiders etc. And as others of said, a lot of the AA games don't really offer anything new. Same old stuff with prettier graphics.

I think Im just pickier in general with my games now. Even something the new Thief game tahts coming out, I have 0 interest in picking it up. It'll probably be something I end up buying 2 years down the line when its 5 bucks on steam
#19CloudZ1116Posted 2/19/2014 1:06:03 PM
Freespace 2. Get the base game from GOG, and the open source expansions from Hard Light Productions. Much better game than a lot of AAA releases these days.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
#20TrueGBPosted 2/19/2014 1:14:17 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Maybe as we get older we dislike AAA games?

Not so much AAA games, but the same thing over and over again. AAA devs are too afraid to take risks these days, so they often churn out the same ol' tired shooter or WRPG formula.

TC isn't really tired of AAA games, just the same old genres in general. I suggest finding a good indie game.
---
Future Billionaire