This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I haven't been enjoying AAA titles as much, recommendations?

#21Nasuke1Posted 2/19/2014 1:34:10 PM
Papers please! You won't be disappointed! I guarantee it.

It doesn't exactly fit into that genre. but... it's kind of a genre all its own.
#22wolverinerob79Posted 2/19/2014 3:18:44 PM
CloudZ1116 posted...
Freespace 2. Get the base game from GOG, and the open source expansions from Hard Light Productions. Much better game than a lot of AAA releases these days.

I miss games that required a joystick. Did you play the original Descent games as well?
#23KillerTrufflePosted 2/19/2014 3:27:46 PM
wolverinerob79 posted...
CloudZ1116 posted...
Freespace 2. Get the base game from GOG, and the open source expansions from Hard Light Productions. Much better game than a lot of AAA releases these days.

I miss games that required a joystick. Did you play the original Descent games as well?

I loved Descent, but I didn't use a joystick. I did in Freespace, but I never liked the joystick feel in the regular Descent games. Guided missiles were awesome, and you could make some pretty crazy maps since they allowed multiple rooms to overlap in the same 3D space.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#24NingishzidaPosted 2/19/2014 3:37:02 PM
Just play older AAAs, where the target demographic wasn't "every culture, gender, age-group, religion, sexual preference, and IQ.

Mod those games, stuff like STALKER.

Stay away from modern AAAs, they all go through strict screening processes to make sure nobody's feelings get hurt, and have "content" dictated by vocal minority lobbyist groups who are as collectively sensitive as a clan of cave-dwelling hunchbacked dwarves.
#25JKatarnPosted 2/19/2014 4:04:21 PM
fatboy44 posted...
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

SinisterSlay posted...
Maybe as we get older we dislike AAA games?

Yeah this might be true for some people. I started with games such as Command and Conquer, War Craft, Mech Warrior 2 etc.. That was almost two decades ago. I've noticed that around 2009 my interest for AAA titles has dropped significantly. I remember being pretty excited in 2006-2009 because there was some cool stuff happening and great titles. The possibilities seemed endless when the geforce 8 series came out. Then it all seemed to just drop off after that.

Yeah, unfortunately after the release of every new graphics chipset/tech there tend to be grand promises about how the new chipset/graphics tech. etc. will radically change gaming and in the end we largely get the same games in a slightly prettier package.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#26sonic_man00Posted 2/19/2014 5:51:35 PM
Dust:An Elysian Tail. Art style is unmatched, And its addicting. Also $1 with some other games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/
---
I'd play more MMOs if there was no chat.
#27r7gerrabbitPosted 2/19/2014 6:01:53 PM
The only AAA games I've been enjoying lately are on Nintendo consoles. Gameplay is the main focus and the games are always a blast.

Other than that Dark Souls, The Witcher, Civilization V, Europa Universalis, and StarCraft 2 get my time.
---
Sig.
#28fatboy44(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 6:10:16 PM
wolverinerob79 posted...
CloudZ1116 posted...

Man I loved Descent and Descent 2. Great times.

TBH I was expecting some hostile replies with this topics. It looks like a lot of other people feel the same sentiments.
---
i7-4770K | GTX 770 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | WD Black 1TB | Seasonic Bronze 750W | Corsair 300R
https://soundcloud.com/aevio
#29Abiz_Posted 2/19/2014 7:35:08 PM
Valdis Story: Abyssal City is one of the best indy games released last year. Shame hardly anyone noticed it.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#30rusty12000Posted 2/19/2014 7:38:19 PM
Banished
Dayz
Prison Architect
and...
Titanfall lol
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM