This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A big TV or a Projector for videogames?

#1Cosmic_CoyotePosted 2/19/2014 9:17:00 AM
Hello everyone

I am thinking into getting a bigger TV, but some people had told me I could buy a projector and have like a 100 inches "TV" display in my living room with it.

However I am aware it have many downsides like the lens / lamp life which is way shorter than a TV and you must have a good light management in the room, but a big TV is very expensive here as well. (I want nothing less tan 60´´)

I wouldn´t use it for the regular TV use, just for videogames, and I don´t know if projectors have "lag" in the way it displays the action with a slight delay or if it is all in real time, also the quality of the image.

Beside I don´t know if you can connect a projector to a PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox One or if you can only connect it to the PC? Does it support HDMI?

So what do you advice? thanks in advance
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#2smelly_boobPosted 2/19/2014 9:19:36 AM
if you are buying a projector i would think you'd want to invest in a decent sound system and A/V receiver... I don't know of too many people who use a projector without those things

i cant comment on input lag, best bet is to surf avsforums for info on each specific model of porjector there is out there
#3SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/19/2014 9:43:16 AM(edited)
I don't think you need a 100 inch tv to game. Just buy the 50 to 60 inch tv and deal with the price.

Also if you blow up these games to 100 inch screen, there gonna look all pixelated and jaggy anyways since consoles aren't that good, even the new ones. 1080p which is the absolute best the console will do will look like crap. Maybe if you got a pc that run in 2.5 or 4k itll look better but that's a very expensive computer at this time.
#4EGMRULZPosted 2/19/2014 9:48:09 AM
In my experience, projectors just wash out the resolution and graphics so avoid it. And to make things worse, it'll ring you up a nasty electricity bill depending on which model you get. You're better off getting up a TV. The size depends on how far away you will game but there's really no point in getting anything bigger than a 40 inch.
---
PC & Consoles > Everything
#5Cosmic_Coyote(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 9:57:56 AM
Yeah probably you are right

I currently have a 42 and 50´´ TV´s and a 25´´ PC Monitor they are good but I do want a big TV, probably I will just buy the TV :/
---
"There is no knowledge that is not power"
#6SampsonMPosted 2/19/2014 10:06:26 AM
Projectors >>>>>>>>> TV

IF you have the setup for it.

A $1500 projector looks way better than $1500 TV. The problem is very few people have the right configuration to do a projector. You need to mount it on a back wall or the ceiling and then target it at a screen on a flat wall on the other side of the room. You can't have many windows, if any, as any ambient light destroys the picture.

But if you have the right room setup, go projector and don't look back.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#7SampsonMPosted 2/19/2014 10:12:12 AM
So if you have a decent-sized man-cave let's say in the basement, then go projector.

If you need something for your living room, go with the TV.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby