This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hows this build?

#1staticxtreme5Posted 2/19/2014 9:44:00 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2W7nM

Attempting a mITX build that I can keep very cool and quiet, but still capable of gaming. Not looking for anything higher than 1080p, as it will be hooked up to my living room TV. I think this build will work very well and even without a aftermarket CPU cooler, I should get really low temperatures (I may add one anyways, such as Noctua LP 9 or w/e it's called). I don't need a ton of room on my drives, since I can install / uninstall to my hearts content and I don't play a ton of games all at once anyways. I typically play a few then delete and repeat. Only part I am unsure of is the Motherboard. I'm not sure if this is the ideal chipset, or if I can save additional money by getting a cheaper model. I am on a budget, but its not exactly a "set" budget. I guess $800 would be my upper limit, but I want to save money on anything I can to get that as low as possible.
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/19/2014 10:05:03 AM(edited)
Seems pretty good. I would say get a cheaper lower watt PSU, but then I see with the rebate its only like $50 bucks. The mobo does seem a bit pricey, but Im not as familiar with mobos of this size so maybe its fine. It has good reviews and I think that's very important when it comes to a mobo, cause it will bring your whole system down if it stinks.

For coolers you can check out the coolermaster evo 212 or the one you mentioned. Just make sure they will fit. Might be worth it the pc will be in a cramped area or if its hot where you live through out the summer.
#3staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:04:53 AM
Yeah, that's why I picked the motherboard. It was about the cheapest I saw on the website that had more than 1 review, but I also thought it was a bit pricey.

The PSU I know is overkill, but the reason I chose it was because it is fully modular. Every inch of space I can free in this case will probably help me out with keeping the insides cool and quiet. It also gives me some headroom if I decided to throw a bigger GPU in at a later time I guess. If I could find a cheaper PSU that will suit this setup while still being fully modular, I would go with that instead. I don't know which brands of PSU are good though, so Its hard for me to find a cheaper reliable one, which is why I stuck with the one I did.

Anyone have a cheaper, possibly better alternative to that PSU?
#4ShubPosted 2/19/2014 10:08:28 AM(edited)
staticxtreme5 posted...

Not in the fully modular space. Those are rare enough as it is unless you're looking at the high-end. The last one I can remember that was fully modular in roughly that price range was the OCZ ZT series: http://amzn.com/B005SCYFPQ
Just stick with that RM550, it's a solid unit.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:10:19 AM
Sorry, I don't know too much about PSUs in general. With the setup I have, would a semi-modular be just as good, or would it probably come with a bunch of extra cables that I have no use for and cant get rid of?
#6SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/19/2014 10:10:47 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
Yeah, that's why I picked the motherboard. It was about the cheapest I saw on the website that had more than 1 review, but I also thought it was a bit pricey.

The PSU I know is overkill, but the reason I chose it was because it is fully modular. Every inch of space I can free in this case will probably help me out with keeping the insides cool and quiet. It also gives me some headroom if I decided to throw a bigger GPU in at a later time I guess. If I could find a cheaper PSU that will suit this setup while still being fully modular, I would go with that instead. I don't know which brands of PSU are good though, so Its hard for me to find a cheaper reliable one, which is why I stuck with the one I did.

I think your going to have a tough time finding something of that quality, modular for a similar price. SeaSonic, Corsair, XFX, EVGA and a few others make good PSU's. ARound here people kind of assume any PSU that's not a good brand is gonna catch on fire, but I've used generic PSU myself for years before and there fine. Of course with a new build like this I would buy a nice name brand.

Due to the price of your PSU you selected I think it will be hard to find something better.
#7ShubPosted 2/19/2014 10:13:09 AM(edited)
staticxtreme5 posted...
Sorry, I don't know too much about PSUs in general. With the setup I have, would a semi-modular be just as good, or would it probably come with a bunch of extra cables that I have no use for and cant get rid of?

It depends on the unit. Some modular PSUs come with more non-modular cables than others. The ideal modular -- but not fully modular -- PSU is the kind that only has the 24-pin ATX12V connector and the 4-pin connector for the CPU since you will pretty much always need them, and leaves everything else optional/modular. I believe one example of such a unit is the Corsair HX650.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:16:42 AM
Shub posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

It depends on the unit. Some modular PSUs come with more non-modular cables than others. The ideal modular -- but not fully modular -- PSU is the kind that only has the 24-pin ATX12V connector and the 4-pin connector for the CPU since you will pretty much always need them, and leaves everything else optional/modular. I believe one example of such a unit is the Corsair HX650.

Awesome, Ill check into a few others then to see if I can come up with a cheaper one. If not, I'm fine with the price point that I have at the moment. It leaves me some room to buy a monitor if I decided to, and possibly add a few other peripherals. Thanks for all the information everyone!
#9staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 10:32:29 AM
Stupid question, but would the GPU I selected be capable of doing a dual monitor setup? I was hoping to eventually have a monitor and TV hooked into it, so that I could do some of my gaming on the big screen and some on the monitor, depending on the game. RTS and MMO for example. are probably better off played on the monitor. Others, like Tomb Raider, would probably be better suited for a controller and a TV.
#10ShubPosted 2/19/2014 10:35:30 AM
Any video card these days can handle two monitors. If you need more than two, then it depends, but usually yes.
---
-What is best in life?