This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

700 bucks to blow on a few parts What do?

#1crawdadPosted 2/19/2014 10:41:05 AM
Ok
So I got 700 bucks in a company bonus and I'm thinking of turning my PC into a Ship of Theseus.

Here's what's currently in it:
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205

HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148910

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231358

GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127615

With Stock MOBO and i7 920

Suggestions on what to replace?
---
Expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#2ShubPosted 2/19/2014 10:44:08 AM
I would just get a nice video card to replace that 560. $550 would get you a higher-end GTX 780. You could even keep the 560 and use it as a dedicated PhysX processor.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3r0ge00Posted 2/19/2014 10:46:52 AM(edited)
For around $800 you can get a 770, 4670k, 8GB and a motherboard. As Shub pointed out, you could probably just upgrade the GPU as well and wait until something newer comes out to replace your CPU/RAM/motherboard combo.
#4crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 11:04:01 AM
hmmmm well informed opinions.

I'd be willing to pay the extra and go for the 780ti I'm sure it'll stay relevant for a while. or do you think the 780 would be the more logical step?

My main concern about those higher end single GPUs is will the Crappy stock mobo and processor bottleneck it bad enough?
---
#5ShubPosted 2/19/2014 11:10:53 AM(edited)
The motherboard definitely won't. The CPU will hold your performance back some but I personally think there is more value in getting a really nice video card now and keeping your existing CPU, save up for however long, upgrade your CPU and motherboard (and RAM if necessary) in, say, a year's time, keeping the nice video card you bought now.

I upgraded from an i7-930 with a Radeon 7970 to an i7-4770K with the same Radeon 7970 and didn't notice a difference. I didn't look for one either because I don't run benchmarks, so I don't know how much I gained, but it didn't feel like anything changed. I only made the swap because I wanted to upgrade my second computer (which now runs my old i7-930).

What I'm saying is your i7 920 is fine. Those first-generation i7 were ahead of their time and it shows in their longevity.

Probably TMI but I'm now considering selling the 7970 at its Bitcoin-inflated price (hoping for $400) and upgrade to a 780.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6BuyersRemorse55Posted 2/19/2014 11:12:18 AM
Im not really sure if your older CPU would bottleneck a new GPU.

But you could always go the cheaper route and just get a gtx 770 and save the rest of the money. That will still be a nice upgrade to a 560.
#7crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 11:24:09 AM
Thank you Shub! Any recommendations for 780s or 780tis?

BuyersRemorse55 posted...

But you could always go the cheaper route and just get a gtx 770 and save the rest of the money. That will still be a nice upgrade to a 560.

remorse, Any recommendations for 770s? I don't mind Non-reference if the performance push is there.

Also pre OC'd is always a btter choice, it's usally sufficiently self cooled (plus my tower has 4 fans 2 of which are quite large) but I don;t think the MOBO will help OCing anything stock or reference.
---
#8ShubPosted 2/19/2014 11:30:16 AM
crawdad posted...

Just to be extra clear I have not purchased anything, and I haven't owned an nVidia card since my GeForce 3 Ti500, so I'm a bit out of touch with the nVidia world, but right now I'm looking at EVGA's 780 or 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX cooler. The Classifieds look nice but I don't think there would be any value in them for myself since I don't generally overclock my video cards.
---
-What is best in life?
#9crawdad(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 11:41:34 AM
Ok sounds good.

I'll do some digging and soul searching, at least economically speaking it does make the most sense to invest in a better card. I'll look around and nail it down to a few and find out then what I want.

Suggestions are always welcome though :D
---
#10BuyersRemorse55Posted 2/19/2014 12:09:16 PM
crawdad posted...

BuyersRemorse55 posted...

remorse, Any recommendations for 770s? I don't mind Non-reference if the performance push is there.

Also pre OC'd is always a btter choice, it's usally sufficiently self cooled (plus my tower has 4 fans 2 of which are quite large) but I don;t think the MOBO will help OCing anything stock or reference.

I prefer EVGA brand myself. They do have superclocked versions of the card for a bit more money or you could overclock it yourself.

EVGA sells the referenced blower design which blows air out of the back of you case but the card generally runs hotter..

They also have the ACX cooler version, it does keep the card cooler, but more heat in you case. You can find a lot of reviews on youtube for any of these cards, or even just google if you want stuff to read.

IMost of the major brands are going to have similar offerings.

I do prefer EVGA brand due the fact I've never had an issue with any of their cards, and the step up program is good. Especially in your case, if you purchased a 770 and thought you still wanted more power, you could trade it in back to EVGA for the same price you paid, and pay the difference for a gtx 780. You have 90 days to do this so that's plenty of time to mess around with the 770.