This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I this ok?

#1MenzuitPosted 2/19/2014 11:34:04 AM
Here are my specs:
(Fair warning, im not to savvy when it comes to upgrading PC's and what not?)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8146MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 640
Display Memory: 4033 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1985 MB
Shared Memory: 2048

The two things I am upgrading is the Graphics Card and The PSU. Here are links to both:
Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
#2Dirk85UKPosted 2/19/2014 11:36:48 AM
Seems ok to me.
---
GTX 780ti SC / i7 4770k / 16gb RAM / Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H / 840 Pro Basic / Seasonic X-850 / Dell U2711
#3foodeater4Posted 2/19/2014 11:42:11 AM
Your gonna have yourself a nice rig once those parts go in.
#4Menzuit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 11:48:37 AM
foodeater4 posted...
Your gonna have yourself a nice rig once those parts go in.

Ok. Good glad to hear that! Finally be able to play top tier games on Ultra!
#5foodeater4Posted 2/19/2014 12:00:03 PM
You wont ultra absolutely everything but youll get great settings for a while to come.
#6Menzuit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 2:08:50 PM
foodeater4 posted...
You wont ultra absolutely everything but youll get great settings for a while to come.

Awww, well, give me an example please?
#7Games_AnalystPosted 2/19/2014 2:26:03 PM(edited)
Menzuit posted...
foodeater4 posted...

8 gigs should be fine on RAM. Your processor is a little low, I would overclock it some. Some CPU intensive games down the road might bottleneck. Titanfall is already asking for around 2.4-2.6.

The 760 GTX is a great card but even currently it does not allow for max settings in current games. See Crysis 3 for example (below). Granted that game is ridiculous strain but the 760 GTX is not even listed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-7.html

The 760GTX upgrade will keep your computer relevant and allow play on any game coming up in the next 3+ years and that's all that really matters. You just can't expect going into VERY heavy intensive games (like Crysis 3 and similar in the future) and hope to max it out without experiencing nearly unplayable choppiness.

But games like the new Tomb Raider even a GTX 780 is only pulling 80 frames on ultimate quality. A GTX760 is likely looking at 35-40 FPS, but that is often playable. Start getting around 40 FPS and I barely notice.
---
Intel 930i, 770 GTX, 16GB G Skill Ripjaw X, Asus Sabertek, Intel 80gb SSD, WIndows 7 64.
#8Fade2black001Posted 2/19/2014 2:24:32 PM
Games_Analyst posted...
Menzuit posted...
foodeater4 posted...

8 gigs should be fine on RAM. Your processor is a little low, I would overclock it some. Some CPU intensive games down the road might bottleneck. Titanfall is already asking for around 2.4-2.6.

The 760 GTX is a great card but even currently it does not allow for max settings in current games. See Crysis 3 for example (below). Granted that game is ridiculous strain but the 760 GTX is not even listed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-7.html

The 760GTX upgrade will keep your computer relevant and allow play on any game coming up in the next 3+ years and that's all that really matters. You just can't expect going into VERY heavy intensive games (like Crysis 3 and similar in the future) and hope to max it out without experiencing nearly unplayable choppiness.

One would want an after market cooler to OC.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#9Games_AnalystPosted 2/19/2014 2:27:36 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Games_Analyst posted...
Menzuit posted...
foodeater4 posted...

Ah true, assumed he might've had one. Good thermal paste + after market cooler would run $50 but you could prob. get your processor to 3.5 or 3.6 with it being a pretty safe ways under temps (could go to 4.0ghz but might not recommend for a new overclocker).

IMO that's worth $50. Plus you have the thermal paste for a good while.
---
Intel 930i, 770 GTX, 16GB G Skill Ripjaw X, Asus Sabertek, Intel 80gb SSD, WIndows 7 64.
#10Menzuit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 2:36:29 PM
Games_Analyst posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Games_Analyst posted...
Menzuit posted...
foodeater4 posted...

Ah true, assumed he might've had one. Good thermal paste + after market cooler would run $50 but you could prob. get your processor to 3.5 or 3.6 with it being a pretty safe ways under temps (could go to 4.0ghz but might not recommend for a new overclocker).

IMO that's worth $50. Plus you have the thermal paste for a good while.

What in the world is thermal paste and I know nothing about how to over clock a processor. But everything else I get. But yeah I figured games like Crysis 3 and BF4 would definitely be a strain.