This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"I don't like PC gaming because i can't sit on my couch and use a controller"

#31Ch3wyPosted 2/19/2014 2:56:05 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Psythik posted...
Ch3wy posted...
It's a valid reason for those who mostly play multiplayer shooters.
How so?

You're gonna get straight merced if you try to play a PC shooter with a controller.

Wish I could find that crazy video of that guy with a custom controller playing Quake 3. Can never find it when I want to.

I saw a video of a guy playing Quake 3 with an EEG before.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#32Fade2black001Posted 2/19/2014 2:59:11 PM
Games_Analyst posted...
VIP86 posted...
A gaming computer costs 4000. I just had that experience this past week. My friend wanted me to build their kids a computer and was willing to spend 4 grand.

$4,000!? LMAO.

CPU: $300 (OC it in future years, will last 4-5+ years easy for PC gaming). CPUs two gens old are running top line games fine at the moment.
Top Line Mobo: $150
RAM: 16gb gaming performance RAM, $150 (anything beyond atm is utterly stupid)
SSD: 256 GB (select games/boot) $200
Data HD: $40? (1 TB)
Video: GeForce GTX 780 $530
1000+w PSU: $150-200
Case: $100
Cooling System: < $100

< $2K. That computer will run anything in the next 5+ years and unless an equivalent Crysis is released 3 years down the road everything at max. If you don't need an OS, can re-use a case, and have an existing large HD - there's $250 gone right there.

$4K. lmao. Oh lord.

a 100W PSU for 1 780?!? Thats INSANE overkill. You would be fine with half that...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#33BogePosted 2/19/2014 2:59:45 PM
What is a GENUINE reason that consoles might be better than a PC?

Maybe a more active community in games? I wouldn't know since I don't play online with strangers.

Ease of use? You don't really have to deal with drivers or hardware conflicts or anything techy like.

No setup? You don't have to configure your controls or graphical settings at all, but in a way this is a benefit to PCs because you really can configure your gameplay experience to what you want. Not sure I'd say this is a benefit for consoles.

Optimization, sure, but that's kind of irrelevant. It's more about the overall performance. I'm seeing PS4 (the better console) boasting 1080p@30fps. That's okay for a "next gen" machine I guess, but I've been playing games at 1080p@60fps for a very long time now. So does optimization really help that much?
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#34Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/19/2014 3:00:28 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
-consoles get online services
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get firmware updates
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get game installs
"consoles aren't PCs."

-console games get patches and updates
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get downloadable content
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get ports of previously PC-exclusive genres best played with kb/m like MMO
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get replaceable hard drives
"consoles aren't PCs."

-consoles get internet browsers
"consoles aren't PCs."

-console architecture now matches that of the PC
"consoles aren't PCs."

Peasant that doesn't know what a PC is confirmed. Why do you kids even post here?
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#35godplaysSNESPosted 2/19/2014 3:03:53 PM
Boge posted...

Maybe a more active community in games? I wouldn't know since I don't play online with strangers.

Ease of use? You don't really have to deal with drivers or hardware conflicts or anything techy like.

No setup? You don't have to configure your controls or graphical settings at all, but in a way this is a benefit to PCs because you really can configure your gameplay experience to what you want. Not sure I'd say this is a benefit for consoles.

Optimization, sure, but that's kind of irrelevant. It's more about the overall performance. I'm seeing PS4 (the better console) boasting 1080p@30fps. That's okay for a "next gen" machine I guess, but I've been playing games at 1080p@60fps for a very long time now. So does optimization really help that much?

No Zelda, Mario or Metroid on PC
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#36BogePosted 2/19/2014 3:06:29 PM
I'd really like to see the overall cost after a generation of consoles. I'll bet the PC would actually end up cheaper in the long run than a console. Consider the PC game sales and lack of pay to play online. That will add up quick. For $50 a year for PS plus. That's another $300-$400 that you don't spend on a PC throughout the 6-8 year console cycle.

And this is all considering ONLY the gaming part of a PC. A PC is used for SO many more things than just gaming. Should we count those extra features as just a bonus, or tack them into the price, or what?
---
#37BogePosted 2/19/2014 3:08:57 PM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
Boge posted...

No Starcraft, Warcraft, Civilization, or thousands of other games on consoles.

Eh, let me just post this instead. http://k32.kn3.net/taringa/6/1/9/4/9/0/2/emirsc/540.jpg
---
#38ThePylonPosted 2/19/2014 3:07:56 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Boge posted...

Your name is "godplaysSNES"...... pcplaysSNES
---
I play too many different games to even care.
#39PraetorXynPosted 2/19/2014 3:09:59 PM
Games_Analyst posted...
VIP86 posted...
A gaming computer costs 4000. I just had that experience this past week. My friend wanted me to build their kids a computer and was willing to spend 4 grand.

$4,000!? LMAO.

CPU: $300 (OC it in future years, will last 4-5+ years easy for PC gaming). CPUs two gens old are running top line games fine at the moment.

< $2K. That computer will run anything in the next 5+ years and unless an equivalent Crysis is released 3 years down the road everything at max. If you don't need an OS, can re-use a case, and have an existing large HD - there's $250 gone right there.

$4K. lmao. Oh lord.

Some people like motherboards that are actually good, cases that aren't the Fractal Design R4, and custom water cooling. Extra RAM can be used for a RAMDisk, which is much better than a SSD for games loading things,

Not to mention 2560 x 1440 will kill a single 780 in some games.

TL;DR: Not everyone is you.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#40VIP86Posted 2/19/2014 3:10:33 PM
Games_Analyst posted...
VIP86 posted...

$4,000!? LMAO.

$4K. lmao. Oh lord.

Yeah, I told her "NOOOOO, It can be had for around 1200." The kids are coming over from console gaming, so a 770 will suffice. They were extremely surprised. Of course, they did spend about 3 grand on a macbook a year or so ago... so yeahhhhhh.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750