This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can those with a G400s mouse and great hearing do me a favor?

#21DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/20/2014 1:11:09 PM
Boge posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.
So is the integrated audio in your PC.
In fact, everything that outputs sound must have a DAC of some kind.

I haven't had a sound card since...SB Audigy. Gosh that was a great soundcard. They're just too expensive nowadays, or are they for a good quality one? What would you recommend?

Honestly, an external DAC is a better choice these days just for sound quality. Lower impedance, less EM noise. Most of the cheaper cards either have weak sound quality, or high latency, or some other issues.

Blame Creative. They basically monopolized the sound card market, buying out competitors before they could catch on, and unfortunately, there wasn't really anything to stop them doing it. Hopefully AMD's audio thing catches on, and a proper OpenCL sound driver for videocards is developed. Could really improve the videogame audio situation on PC.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#22PraetorXynPosted 2/20/2014 1:11:19 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

I meant an external one, obviously.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#23Ch3wyPosted 2/20/2014 1:55:55 PM
Boge posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

I haven't had a sound card since...SB Audigy. Gosh that was a great soundcard. They're just too expensive nowadays, or are they for a good quality one? What would you recommend?

They're not very expensive. There are cheap ones that are honestly just about as good as you need unless you want additional amplification.

The current Audigy is good but it's PCI. About $30 I think.

Keep in mind with unshielded soundcards like it can have that same kind of interference if they're wedged up against another component like a wifi adapter. Shieled ones are all expensive unfortunately but it's usually a non-issue. You can make your own shield with a couple pieces of cardboard and a piece of aluminum foil, but if you **** up your computer will explode.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#24Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 3:46:23 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

I don't know anything about those. Got any links, or a recommended one? Could I make use of it other than just for my dumb screeching fix?
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#25Ch3wyPosted 2/20/2014 4:05:18 PM
Boge posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

I don't know anything about those. Got any links, or a recommended one? Could I make use of it other than just for my dumb screeching fix?

Head-fiers kind of go crazy about them, most people there not even knowing what the **** they are. Built in DACs in any decent electronic device almost always work great nowadays so there's little use for them asides from fixing interference problems like yours.

It's more likely to solve your problem than a soundcard(especially if you use optical, don't know how the **** electrical interference could be transmitted through that), but soundcards come with stuff like simulated surround sound effects. Soundcard probably will solve your problem too(it's hard to tell with interference, some people just get boned).
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#26ClouddxPosted 2/20/2014 4:25:59 PM(edited)
Boge posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

I love my FiiO e17 as a Portable Dac, it works with all my consoles as well which is great. When I use it at home I have it plugged into the e9 and I can have up to 3 separate headphones going at once.

If you have a decent pair of headphones then an external DAC will help with sound quality and powering the headphones. If you've got a crappy pair of phones there really isn't a need for a powerful DAC, as I'm pretty sure you can get a cheap one that will solve your problems.

Maybe something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Audio-System-SB1290/dp/B0044DEDC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392938741&sr=1-1&keywords=sound+blaster+usb+sound+card
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#27PraetorXynPosted 2/20/2014 6:38:58 PM
Boge posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Better yet, get a DAC.

A soundcard is a DAC.

They're higher quality than the DAC's in sound cards, but the price range is a lot wider. FiiO E17 is a good entry level DAC.

The one I use is a DAC/AMP combo, the Audio-gd NFB 11.32. It has S/PDIF input in both optical and coax, and RCA output for connecting to a speaker amp or something, in which case it can be set to be used as a preamp.

The external factor will solve the interference problem you're having.

It's really just a matter of budget. The DAC I have with upgrades costs around $399 or so.

You can get the Modi and Magni from Schiit for $99 each and they'll beat the socks off anything in that price range.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#28Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2014 5:34:53 PM
Well, without them going through any trouble shooting, they're just sending me a new mouse. I should be happy, right? I get to keep my mouse, which works fine, and they're sending me a brand new one too. Nah, I'm a bit disappointed because I just wanted a solution to my problem. Hmmm. I really don't want to buy anything just to get rid of a very faint screech sound.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png