This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can we make video games more oriented for those with hearing disabilities?

#1TalesOfGodPosted 2/19/2014 3:30:50 PM
Gentlemen.
I would like to hear your suggestions and opinions on this matter.
#2ClouddxPosted 2/19/2014 3:32:01 PM
Subtitles?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#3Bazooka_PenguinPosted 2/19/2014 3:34:41 PM
Subtitles sound good to me
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#4TalesOfGod(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 3:34:46 PM
Clouddx posted...
Subtitles?

Well, that's an obvious one but I was looking for more creative approaches.
#5PhilOnDezPosted 2/19/2014 3:35:21 PM
I'm assuming you mean for the sake of situational awareness, a belt with rumble motors could help though honestly it seems like it would be an advantage over just speakers. Then again, there's nothing stopping anyone from using them.

It seems like there was a vest that did something similar, feedback in the direction that you'd been shot from, but I don't think it ever caught on.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/19/2014 3:39:57 PM
I was actually thinking about this at one point, and came to the conclusion that visual ripples/distortion around the corners of the screen could be an interesting way of replicating, at least, the concept of sound from a direction. Perhaps use colour to represent audible frequencies, and ripple magnitude for variations.
It seems like it would be a fun challenge to overcome, tbh.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#7TalesOfGod(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 3:40:34 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
I'm assuming you mean for the sake of situational awareness, a belt with rumble motors could help though honestly it seems like it would be an advantage over just speakers. Then again, there's nothing stopping anyone from using them.

It seems like there was a vest that did something similar, feedback in the direction that you'd been shot from, but I don't think it ever caught on.

Kind of.
I see so many people arguing for other people to be included in video games (mostly LGBT on this site) but I never see any people advocating even once for the people with disabilities.

Anyways, I think that's a great idea! It would add a bit more impact than the normal rumble controls.
After all, many of them can't hear the impacts so it would require a good amount of impact/rumble to be able to immerse them in the game.

That's one good idea. Keep them coming! ^.^
#8TalesOfGod(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 3:48:04 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I was actually thinking about this at one point, and came to the conclusion that visual ripples/distortion around the corners of the screen could be an interesting way of replicating, at least, the concept of sound from a direction. Perhaps use colour to represent audible frequencies, and ripple magnitude for variations.
It seems like it would be a fun challenge to overcome, tbh.

Wow, another great idea!
How big would you say that they should be?

I think a frequency bar (obviously with options to turn it off or on in the option menu) at the lower right/left of the screen would be a pretty good place to put it but I never even considered using colour to show how the difference in variation along with ripple magnitude for different aspects!

2 great ideas and only on the first page!
#9Born LuckyPosted 2/19/2014 3:57:56 PM
If it was footsteps there could be a small icon of shoes designating the location, that flashes for a couple seconds. The further away, the smaller the icon.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#10TalesOfGod(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 4:01:56 PM
Born Lucky posted...
If it was footsteps there could be a small icon of shoes designating the location, that flashes for a couple seconds. The further away, the smaller the icon.

You mean in shooting games and platformers or for all games (like rpgs, fighting, strategy, etc.)?