This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can we make video games more oriented for those with hearing disabilities?

#21TalesOfGod(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 4:23:17 PM
dlf posted...
I'm for helping the disabled, but also consider the color blind (like me) some games areas (bosses, etc) make heavy use of the EXACT colors someone may be color blind too.

To be frank, the majority of the bosses that require colour based tricks are pretty horrible.
#22Lonestar2000Posted 2/19/2014 4:36:30 PM
Cybernetic ears.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#23wizardmonPosted 2/19/2014 4:45:30 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Born Lucky posted...
If it was footsteps there could be a small icon of shoes designating the location, that flashes for a couple seconds. The further away, the smaller the icon.

XIII did this as I recall - giving you an exact visualization of where you were hearing steps from.

I loved that game.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#24KillerTrufflePosted 2/20/2014 8:41:32 AM
wizardmon posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Born Lucky posted...
If it was footsteps there could be a small icon of shoes designating the location, that flashes for a couple seconds. The further away, the smaller the icon.

XIII did this as I recall - giving you an exact visualization of where you were hearing steps from.

I loved that game.

Me too. Still have my discs. I actually tried reinstalling it a month or two ago, following the directions for getting it to run on Vista (I'm on 8), but no dice. :( I got it installed OK, and was able to even load the game up to the first menu screen, but as soon as I clicked anything, it would crash to desktop. :(

Makes me sad GOG lost the game - I would totally buy it again if it meant I was able to play it on a current OS.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#25steker16Posted 2/20/2014 2:19:33 PM
electroshock harness

sounds coming from behind are given to the user as a 120w shock to the small of your back
#26TourlouqcPosted 2/20/2014 2:26:46 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Born Lucky posted...

Yes.. it was a great way to alert of sounds and tell you exactly where it comes from!
#27Howling-Reaper-Posted 2/20/2014 2:45:23 PM(edited)
WEEEEEE!

COOUULD MAAAAKE!

THEM LOOOUUUDER!

RIIIIGHT?

RIGHT?

(Sorry OP... :])
---
There is no hope.
#28BogePosted 2/20/2014 2:43:56 PM
Sorry, I didn't read through this all, but I caught a glimpse of a vibrating vest.

That's a decent idea. A vibrating hat would work too.

I like the idea of shimmers on the sides of the screen, but what about when it's right in front of you or in back?
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#29KillerTrufflePosted 2/20/2014 2:49:02 PM
Boge posted...
Sorry, I didn't read through this all, but I caught a glimpse of a vibrating vest.

That's a decent idea. A vibrating hat would work too.

I like the idea of shimmers on the sides of the screen, but what about when it's right in front of you or in back?

usually if something is hitting you from the back, I've seen games cause red flashes around the entire edge of the screen, while damage from the front is more of a large red splotch radiating out from the center of the screen. That would be easy enough to translate into sound direction as well...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#30dlfPosted 2/20/2014 4:10:37 PM
For controllers perhaps the left (or right) side of the controller could vibrate if hit from that side.
---
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5kr - Minus a few parts.