This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you value in a game more, gameplay or story?

#1Spidey555Posted 2/20/2014 7:08:52 AM
What do you value in a game more, gameplay or story? - Results (193 votes)
Gameplay
77.72% (150 votes)
Story
22.28% (43 votes)
This poll is now closed.
My friend and I were having a discussion about which we valued more, he valued story more, I valued gameplay. I would much rather have fantastic gameplay over a good story. This is why I play games, to unwind and relax. I read a lot so I get my good stories there.
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#2SlaynPosted 2/20/2014 7:11:23 AM
Story can make bad gameplay tolerable.

See: Alan Wake. Mediocre third person shooter, or awesome atmospheric game?

You decide.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3SpazH3dPosted 2/20/2014 7:12:32 AM
I need the good story and characters to keep me from getting bored with the game. Gameplay just isn't enough for me. Unless the gameplay is amazing. Like Doom 1 or 2 amazing.
---
- My vision is augmented
#4Spidey555(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 7:13:06 AM
Slayn posted...
Story can make bad gameplay tolerable.

See: Alan Wake. Mediocre third person shooter, or awesome atmospheric game?

You decide.

Or fantastic gameplay like Kingdoms of Amalur and a convoluted and boring story.

I guess it depends on your mood.
---
#5Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/20/2014 7:26:12 AM
That's a silly question. It's a video game so it's gameplay.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#6Two_DeePosted 2/20/2014 8:53:04 AM
Story
---
Faker Faker playmaker
#7foodeater4Posted 2/20/2014 9:27:45 AM
I like both, but overall I think I'm more of a story guy. A good story can make mediocre gameplay tolerable as someone mentioned. But a good story doesn't have to be like a Mass Effect with a million lines of dialogue and cutscenes every few minutes. Sometimes less is more, such as Dark Souls. You learn a lot of the world and whats going on just reading the descriptions on the items and your imagination can fill in a lot of the blanks. Even games like Diablo or Path of Exile, don't have the most intense stories in the world, but its good enough to keep you going and the gameplay is fun.

Of course it is nice when you get the best of both worlds.
#8KillerTrufflePosted 2/20/2014 9:34:17 AM
It completely depends on the genre/type of game. For games like S.P.A.Z. or Terraria, I could really care less about the story. It's all about the gameplay. Games like The Longest Journey, Syberia, etc., It usually needs a great story to keep me entertained. Games that emphasize both - VtM Bloodlines, Deus Ex, etc. - should do a great job at both.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9PokenubPosted 2/20/2014 9:34:34 AM
It depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll play a story based game and other times I'll go for a game with a story I care nothing about. Like Skyrim, I honestly didn't give a damn about that story, too boring for me. But I had fun just running around messing with stuff.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#10Spidey555(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 12:54:40 PM
I agree, some days I just want a game I can run around and do what I want.
---