This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you sacrifice image quality if you connect your PC to your monitor via HDMI?

#1kill_distroyPosted 2/20/2014 2:18:58 PM
So I'm getting a new monitor from a friend that only has an HDMI and a VGA port. I have a GTX 680, and that doesn't have a VGA port, only DVI and HDMI. Do I sacrifice any quality when I connect them via HDMI, or is it better to get a DVI / VGA cable?
---
Words That Kill
GT: Risev / PSN: RiseQ8
#2SlaynPosted 2/20/2014 2:25:02 PM
no
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3kill_distroy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 2:30:09 PM
Slayn posted...
no

Alright, thanks for the answer. It was something I remember I heard someone say but it looks like I didn't need to worry :)
---
Words That Kill
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 2/20/2014 2:38:36 PM
kill_distroy posted...
Slayn posted...
no

Alright, thanks for the answer. It was something I remember I heard someone say but it looks like I didn't need to worry :)

I never understood why people spend a lot on their hardware but don't know how things work.

Digital is digital. Only difference between HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort is audio and bandwidth.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5KillerTrufflePosted 2/20/2014 2:41:51 PM
DVI and HDMI video signals are identical.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6kill_distroy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 2:43:23 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
kill_distroy posted...
Slayn posted...
no

I never understood why people spend a lot on their hardware but don't know how things work.

Digital is digital. Only difference between HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort is audio and bandwidth.

I understand where you're coming from, and I admit that I don't have a lot of knowledge about these things. The PC I use was built with the help of a friend who is an expert of these things. He helped me with both choosing the parts and the assembly itself. I am still trying to learn about all these things gradually.
---
Words That Kill
#7DmanTeePosted 2/20/2014 3:30:22 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
kill_distroy posted...
Slayn posted...
no

Maybe that is why he's posting this question here. No one knows everything and he's taking the time to get to learn the subject at hand. So instead of lambasting him for being ignorant, maybe you should commend him for taking the initiative to learn new things.
---
FC 4270-1910-4066
#8ClouddxPosted 2/20/2014 3:41:21 PM(edited)
The only way to connect to a monitor nowadays and loose quality is from a VGA cable or connecting a cable that has been damaged in some way.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#9KillerTrufflePosted 2/20/2014 4:03:04 PM
DmanTee posted...
Maybe that is why he's posting this question here. No one knows everything and he's taking the time to get to learn the subject at hand. So instead of lambasting him for being ignorant, maybe you should commend him for taking the initiative to learn new things.

That's one of the drawbacks of this board - sometimes people forget that there ARE people here all the time that are new to computers, and act like everyone should have the same level of expertise as themselves. Then there's the always fun "can you seriously not use Google?" Now there ARE times where it would make tons more sense to use Google than to waste their time and ours typing up a question topic, but most of the questions here are legitimate, regardless of responses like his.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10Fade2black001Posted 2/20/2014 5:12:08 PM
No. If you connect it through VGA you would
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.