This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you guys think of games and GAMES?

#1TrueFinalePosted 2/21/2014 6:26:56 AM
Ever since the launch of facebook and multimedia portable devices, there's an insane amount of free or cheap games out there.

What do you as gamers of more 'serious' games think of these games, and do you play them or what are your thoughts of people who play them?
---
My playmate #1 of 2: Stormena, multitasking skill P55 4GB RAM, Beauty HIS Radeon 7870 IceQ 2GB, Fitness Corsair 800W. Physique CM Storm Scout.
GT: XTrueFinale
#2VeiledGenesisPosted 2/21/2014 7:09:52 AM
I've found quite a few quality games on the Google Play market. Not necessarily console or PC quality, but still quite good. They're rare, and you have to dig, but they are there. I'd say some are on par with handheld games like on the DS or PSP.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#3TowerBooks3192Posted 2/21/2014 7:43:16 AM
I think it is sad especially it is aimed to the casual gamers and some or even most of them aren't well informed compared to people who have played games as a hobby over the years. Most informed people would know that you could spend less compared to the IAPs from those games by buying a full game on console/PC through one time purchase. Its just unfortunate that people who are new to gaming and sort of new to that fun addictive feeling you get by playing would be more than willing to spend on IAPs.

Case in point, my mom. She doesn't have a clue that she would save more purchasing bejewelled (not sure if they added IAP since last I checked it is a one off purchase) rather than playing candy crush. She sometimes spend some money ($0.99 cents) here and there to clear a level or two.

I don't mind games that don't force you to purchase a lot of stuff and you could either grind for coins (reasonable grind that is rather than waiting) compared to those that need for you to wait for a whole day or two unless you purchase something. Example of a game that is not really riddled with IAPs and is alright would be Dead Man's Draw by stardock on iOS. That game is addictive and I sort of like the mobile version over the no IAP PC version since coins sort of balance the limit of times you could use those abilities (forgot the name of the gems) and you have a reason to play the game multiple times without feeling that those abilities are overpowered and there is no point in playing the game again.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#4Benjamin_ButtonPosted 2/21/2014 7:47:03 AM
i just want more metroidvanias
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#5DoomkillaPosted 2/21/2014 8:04:02 AM
Benjamin_Button posted...

---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#6KillerTrufflePosted 2/21/2014 10:03:22 AM
Facebook "games" are an utter and absolute nuisance. A plague. They are not entertaining in the least, unless your idea of entertainment is to annoy the hell out of your friends with stupid crap like "I need a cow for my farm!"

Android and other phone games, most of them are pretty weak too. The phone just doesn't feel like a very good fit for lots of game types. Action games in particular, you have to put your fingers in the way of your view on the screen to control them, which is less than ideal. I do play strategy/board games on my phone - things like chess, backgammon, reversi, checkers, sudoku... And my wife steals my phone all the time to play Plants vs. Zombies (which actually does OK on the phone). For the most part tho, it's a crappy platform for action games since your fingers have to be in the way so much.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7NemerlightPosted 2/21/2014 10:47:37 AM
I like it. Most games are free and some of them are pretty good. Real Racing 3 and Plants vs Zombies 2 are my favorites. Ofcourse i would much rather play games on console/PC but really dont understand why gamers hate casual stuff so much considering its aimed at different audience.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#8KillerTrufflePosted 2/21/2014 10:56:27 AM
Doesn't PvZ2 use microtransactions now, in addition to being locked for only iOS? That makes it an awfully s****y game in my opinion...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9PhilOnDezPosted 2/21/2014 11:33:12 AM
VeiledGenesis posted...
I've found quite a few quality games on the Google Play market. Not necessarily console or PC quality, but still quite good. They're rare, and you have to dig, but they are there. I'd say some are on par with handheld games like on the DS or PSP.

Square Enix and Bandai Namco have actually started porting their GBA and DS games over. I haven't seen any PSP ports but they might be there as well. R* has ported over several of the PS2 GTA games, and Max Payne too. The Final Fantasy and other JRPG ports work fine but I'm not a big fan of shooters or just action games in general with touch screen controls.

Actual quality, original titles are really hard to come by though. Infinity Blade and Dead Space Mobile are the only phone games I've played where I didn't immediately wish I was just playing it with a controller. Dead Space is the one exception to 'touch screen controls are bad for shooters' I've come across.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10MaxCHEATER64Posted 2/23/2014 7:34:25 AM
Doomkilla posted...
Benjamin_Button posted...

---
i5-3570K @ 4.6 GHz | HD IceQ X 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T | Seagate XTD 2T + 16GB SSHD | 2x8 GB RAM