This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's say I don't care at all about past Thief games, but liked Dishonored

#1Silver Shadow XPosted 2/22/2014 12:14:14 AM
Is this new Thief release then worth it, perhaps? I own like all of the actual Thief games from some bundle I purchased a long time ago, but I haven't played a single one of them. Dishonored on the other hand was very much enjoyed, and the last time I heard anything about Thief, it was being compared to Dishonored. Before the only thing I heard was how they ruined the series.

Anyway, topic? Obviously no one knows for sure, but is it looking like it's going to be a poor experience in general, or just poor based on expectations?
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#2MephistalPosted 2/22/2014 12:30:04 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1yk98m/thief_2014_the_first_review_worse_than_colonial/

I'd be skeptical.
#3Crimson_JesusPosted 2/22/2014 12:31:33 AM
Mephistal posted...
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1yk98m/thief_2014_the_first_review_worse_than_colonial/

I'd be skeptical.

"I have watched the game played from beginning to end"
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#4PraetorXynPosted 2/22/2014 12:44:10 AM
From the looks of it, Dishonored is more of a spiritual successor to Thief than the new game will be, so it could go either way.

From the trailer and gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like they dumbed it down so any idiot can blaze through it. One of the more insulting changes is the "detective vision" mode which seems to be a part of damn near every stealth game these days.

It also looks like it will have forced boss fights like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which is pretty stupid considering that Garrett is no where near a fighter. In the original games on Expert difficulty, if you got spotted you were dead. There was no point even trying combat (except against the undead, assuming you had holy water/ fire arrows). He's the perfect thief, so he would never be caught and forced into combat in the first place.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#5SnadadosPosted 2/22/2014 12:52:43 AM
I'm going to wait for some of the podcasts I listen to to talk about the game.
A lot of the people talking about the the new Thief game sound like the same kind people you'd heard talk about Fallout 3 that frequent the No Mutants Allowed forums.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#6PraetorXynPosted 2/22/2014 12:56:20 AM
Snadados posted...
A lot of the people talking about the the new Thief game sound like the same kind people you'd heard talk about Fallout 3 that frequent the No Mutants Allowed forums.

You mean people that played the series from its inception and expect a reboot to be faithful to it somehow? The horror.

I don't think Fallout 3 should have been an isometric RPG like the original two games. But it didn't feel like a Fallout game to me, whereas New Vegas did.
---
#7SnadadosPosted 2/22/2014 1:10:11 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
Snadados posted...

You mean people that played the series from its inception and expect a reboot to be faithful to it somehow? The horror.

I don't think Fallout 3 should have been an isometric RPG like the original two games. But it didn't feel like a Fallout game to me, whereas New Vegas did.

People who couldn't even conceive the possibility that the new game could have any redeeming qualities what so ever.

They focus so hard on the little flaws and what they game doesn't do that they are totally blind to the good parts.

What those people seem to want is the same thing they bash military shooters for being, the exact same game each time.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#8PraetorXynPosted 2/22/2014 1:24:21 AM
Snadados posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Snadados posted...

People who couldn't even conceive the possibility that the new game could have any redeeming qualities what so ever.

They focus so hard on the little flaws and what they game doesn't do that they are totally blind to the good parts.

What those people seem to want is the same thing they bash military shooters for being, the exact same game each time.

They don't want the exact same game. They just want the new game not to piss all over the old one.

If you're going to completely change the fundamentals of how a game works, it should be a new IP. That pisses people off because they realize they're just using the name of the old game for marketing purposes.

These reboots wouldn't get any hate if they were new IP's.

If you want to make a stealth game where you can go around and kill everyone effortlessly and you have magical vision that lets you highlight important objects in the world, they shouldn't call it Thief. They're riding on the coattails of the originals to sell more copies.
---
#9Broccoli92Posted 2/22/2014 1:58:51 AM(edited)
PraetorXyn posted...
From the looks of it, Dishonored is more of a spiritual successor to Thief than the new game will be, so it could go either way.

From the trailer and gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like they dumbed it down so any idiot can blaze through it. One of the more insulting changes is the "detective vision" mode which seems to be a part of damn near every stealth game these days.

It also looks like it will have forced boss fights like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which is pretty stupid considering that Garrett is no where near a fighter. In the original games on Expert difficulty, if you got spotted you were dead. There was no point even trying combat (except against the undead, assuming you had holy water/ fire arrows). He's the perfect thief, so he would never be caught and forced into combat in the first place.

Might wanna make a list of games that have this detective vision mode. That skill that allows you to see through walls and enemies and collectable items are highlighted. I remember Hitman Absolution,Tomb Raider had it same goes to The Last of Us. There's more of them but i couldn't remember them lol. I'm not sure why developers are always putting this in their games, when the person that you're playing as is a normal human. It doesn't make sense to see they have these detective vision powers unless it's a robot or a fantasy character.

Well it's a shame though, to see even more great IPs from the past got ruined by these so called "sequels"
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#10Crimson_JesusPosted 2/22/2014 1:53:57 AM
Broccoli92 posted...
Might wanna make a list of games that have this detective vision mode. That skill that allows you to see through walls and enemies and collectable items are highlighted. I remember Hitman Absolution,Tomb Raider had it same goes to The Last of Us. There's more of them but i couldn't remember them lol.

http://www.giantbomb.com/detective-mode/3015-6244/
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg