This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's say I don't care at all about past Thief games, but liked Dishonored

#11AcquirePosted 2/22/2014 2:01:08 AM
Mephistal posted...
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1yk98m/thief_2014_the_first_review_worse_than_colonial/

I'd be skeptical.

Hard to trust a game review from someone that's never actually played the game.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#12jakisthePosted 2/22/2014 2:13:01 AM
Personally, I'm keeping an eye on Styx instead of this for that medieval stealth stuff. I dunno how open his climbing will be, but by looking at this:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/news/2014/01/22/Styx-02.jpg
and all that verticality, I'm more optimistic about that than Thi4f.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#13TimePharaohPosted 2/22/2014 3:21:25 AM(edited)
Snadados posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
Snadados posted...
I'm going to wait for some of the podcasts I listen to to talk about the game.
A lot of the people talking about the the new Thief game sound like the same kind people you'd heard talk about Fallout 3 that frequent the No Mutants Allowed forums.

You mean people that played the series from its inception and expect a reboot to be faithful to it somehow? The horror.

I don't think Fallout 3 should have been an isometric RPG like the original two games. But it didn't feel like a Fallout game to me, whereas New Vegas did.

People who couldn't even conceive the possibility that the new game could have any redeeming qualities what so ever.

They focus so hard on the little flaws and what they game doesn't do that they are totally blind to the good parts.

What those people seem to want is the same thing they bash military shooters for being, the exact same game each time.

lol @ little flaws

Let's start with quotes from the developers on the game

"We want you to play as a thief, but we don't want to force you to play as a thief"

"For inspiration, developers looked into contemporary stealth games, such as Dishonored, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed..."

"modern audience of today's console market"

So they're making a game called Thief, where you're a thief, in a series about being a thief, but don't want you to be a thief? They took STEAL inspiration from ******* SKYRIM instead of, I don't know, the amazing stealth game IT'S NAMED AFTER? The target group is modern CONSOLE gamers, people who haven't even played Thief? 10/10 solid game

And lets name some of those tiny lil flaws too

The game has:
-QTE's
-More linear levels
-Combat has a strong focus
-Weapons flash so you know exactly when to block so you can...
-Instant cutscene takedowns on block
-No magic...waitwut?
-The story is how he "fell out" with his partner because his partner killed people...even though there's a strong focus on combat....and killing people.
-You can't jump anymore because it would be too hard to design a game where you have basic movement, so wait for contextual situations instead
-Climbing plays a large part. Not a big deal on its own, but considering their inspiration is AC (instead of, you know, one of the best stealth games ever....and in it's own series...) implies terrible.
-Focus mode. Bullettime kill multiple enemies at once, highlights enemies in the dark, through walls, and makes bow more precise...

Just because you're a 12 year old kid who's first experience at gaming was a PS2 doesn't mean you a valid view. It's cool that you derps like terrible games, and have never actually played the better games you're trying to defend against (eg. TC, you), but it still means you're irrelevant.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#14merqabahPosted 2/22/2014 3:58:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#15TimePharaohPosted 2/22/2014 4:03:20 AM
Again, none of it should be in there PERIOD. Optional or not (not, because you're required to use it) why is it in there? Casual pandering, just like the ridiculously overpowered swoop. How about the AI that looks like it was ripped out of 1993? Or the level design pulled from Metal Gear Rising.

Games bad, dumbed down, and if you like a dumbed down product created for casuals....wonder what that says about you?
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#16merqabahPosted 2/22/2014 4:10:03 AM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
Again, none of it should be in there PERIOD. Optional or not (not, because you're required to use it) why is it in there? Casual pandering, just like the ridiculously overpowered swoop. How about the AI that looks like it was ripped out of 1993? Or the level design pulled from Metal Gear Rising.

Games bad, dumbed down, and if you like a dumbed down product created for casuals....wonder what that says about you?

it says im not an overreacting troll like you are.

nothing you say is actually required to be used,combat is not forced and level design is just like human revolution, not MGR

AI is bad, its AI circa 2008 or something, but you wouldnt know because you havent played it, so your opinion is meaningless
#17mjc0961Posted 2/22/2014 4:21:31 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
One of the more insulting changes is the "detective vision" mode which seems to be a part of damn near every stealth game these days.

Gotta love developers and their shameless copying. "Batman was a successful game and it had detective vision, so we need to have it too! Doesn't matter that Batman actually is a detective and our character isn't, add it anyway!"
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#18NemerlightPosted 2/22/2014 4:25:54 AM
I have watched the game played from beginning to end, and I am thus qualified to speak on its failings

Thats just great.

TimePharaoh posted...

Shouldnt we wait for reviews and stuff before we judge it.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#19merqabahPosted 2/22/2014 5:03:32 AM
mjc0961 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
One of the more insulting changes is the "detective vision" mode which seems to be a part of damn near every stealth game these days.

Gotta love developers and their shameless copying. "Batman was a successful game and it had detective vision, so we need to have it too! Doesn't matter that Batman actually is a detective and our character isn't, add it anyway!"

thats not the developers fault though, its the gamers and publishers, stealth games have been a niche genre always, however production costs have steadily risen, so that leaves two options:

a)Dont produce the game
B)offer easy action to sell the game to casuals and return a profit.

Its not ideal, but at least thief and blacklist allowed for complete playtroughs using old school stealth, the action oriented thing being optional.

instead of forcing new dumb mechanics like dead space 3 which removed all of the survival horror from the game, or tomb raider which while a very good game eliminated the puzzles almost completely.
---
PSA: Their/there/they're are not the same, nor then/than and should of does not exist it's should have
#20PraetorXynPosted 2/22/2014 9:05:31 AM
merqabah posted...
mjc0961 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

thats not the developers fault though, its the gamers and publishers, stealth games have been a niche genre always, however production costs have steadily risen, so that leaves two options:

a)Dont produce the game
B)offer easy action to sell the game to casuals and return a profit.

Its not ideal, but at least thief and blacklist allowed for complete playtroughs using old school stealth, the action oriented thing being optional.

instead of forcing new dumb mechanics like dead space 3 which removed all of the survival horror from the game, or tomb raider which while a very good game eliminated the puzzles almost completely.

It should not be called Thief then. They're shamelessly using the name alone to sell more copies. That's what pisses people off so much.

If this wasn't Thief, it wouldn't be compared to its predecessors.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png