This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there really nothing stopping people from pirating PC games?

#101ThePonyColliePosted 2/23/2014 9:37:02 AM
Piracy would never stop. Pirates are anonymous and have no morals. Why do they care about the hard working developers or the gaming industry as a whole as long as they can get their instant gratifications for free?
#102CremaciousPosted 2/23/2014 9:45:19 AM
Piracy will always be a thing, but if you can make games affordable and accessible it can greatly reduce it. I could pirate Skyrim, but it was on sale for $7.50. I would rather spend that little amount and officially have the game than torrent it.
---
PSN: Cremacious
#103ArsenicSteelPosted 2/23/2014 9:50:12 AM
ThePonyCollie posted...
Piracy would never stop. Pirates are anonymous and have no morals. Why do they care about the hard working developers or the gaming industry as a whole as long as they can get their instant gratifications for free?

Extremes about people are rarely true. Using the label of pirate doesn't change that.
People have morals. Those morals tend to vary, waver, and change depending on the person.
Downloading digital content does not create the same feelings, risks, or repercussions that taking physical goods from a store would.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#104Lum_YatsuraPosted 2/24/2014 1:28:33 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
What did Nintendo do to stop piracy on the Wii?

New optical drives harder to modify for reading DVD. (Wii game discs are an unlicensed clone)
---
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?
#105Fireblade179Posted 2/24/2014 3:21:37 AM
I wouldn't have bought the game I pirated anyway, just like how I explained to that police officer that I wouldn't be caught dead driving a POS Lamborghini, which is why I had to break into and steal one. He totally agreed and let me go! Now it looks great in my garage, but I totally hate it because they still want to charge me for additional Fuelling and I believe I should get that for free because paid-for fuel is killing the driving industry.

Basically, what this argument boils down to is this:
Pirating wouldn't happen if DEVELOPERS DIDN'T EXPECT TO BE PAID FOR DOING THEIR JOBS!!!11! So how dare they?

ALSO, stop making DLC! People don't buy DLC! Apart from, you know, the people who are actually buying the DLC.

AND! If it wasn't for anti-piracy measures ruining the game, people wouldn't pirate!! I for one have cheated on ALL of my wives before, all because they asked me NOT to cheat on them when we got married. HOW DARE THEY??

Continue your arguments gentlemen.
#106samuraigaidenPosted 2/24/2014 3:35:53 AM
I think adult illiteracy is a far greater problem for gaming then piracy.
#107MarceloSampaioPosted 2/24/2014 3:44:05 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
What did Nintendo do to stop piracy on the Wii?

The Wii has more pirated games than you can imagine, man. :p
---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#108Flaktrooper123Posted 2/24/2014 4:22:05 AM
At least in theory, there is no stopping pirates. Sure it is a bad news for developers, but it shouldn't make them distracted. They should make the games more player friendly. DRM should be limited only to prevent activation on multiple accounts. So far pirates have successfully cracked even those always online DRMs like what happened to Ubisoft back then. When that kind if DRM is cracked, that means the pirates have successfully offered a better game for cheaper. At least MMORPGs have the excuse of requiring the players to be online, but still hacked versions of those games exists.

Make no mistake, console games are not free from piracy either. While technically PC games are easier to crack, once a console game is cracked, it is much easier to get it working than a cracked PC game. Modchipped/hacked consoles are sold freely in many countries as well that you can buy them on stores in the malls, and the governments are usually either too busy with other things, or otherwise don't even care, so are ROM cartridges.

At the very least, the devs should at least give some incentives to those who buy original. Even those like Steam archievements can be rewarding for some. I am not sure about DLC, but people who don't have credit cards and are buying the games in the store can be a little annoyed. At least they should sell them in stores too, or at least they should sell full DLC access pack somewhere, a rare case EA managed to get that right with BF4. Or at least make the DLC free.
#109PraetorXynPosted 2/24/2014 5:19:07 AM
Pirating digital goods is not theft, it's an illegal copy and hence a breach of copyright.

Analogies comparing piracy to theft are erroneous because when you steal something, you actually take it away from someone else. For them to be the same, I'd have to steal your car and then it would still be in your garage the next morning.

I don't pirate games, but it's a terrible strawman argument to compare digital piracy to theft.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#110The cranky hermitPosted 2/24/2014 7:30:57 PM
Analogies comparing piracy to theft are erroneous because when you steal something, you actually take it away from someone else

Except for password theft, identity theft, theft of services, cable theft, etc.

Nobody bats an eye when these things, which do not take anything physical away from somebody, are called "theft." But even COMPARE piracy to theft, and out come the tired old "it's not theft it's copyright infringement" fallacies. You know why? It's not because piracy somehow fails a "theft" definition test that these things pass. It's because of losers desperate to distance themselves from thieves by making up arbitrary reasons why their crimes somehow don't count as "theft," even though they absolutely do by any definition of the word.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!