This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there really nothing stopping people from pirating PC games?

#221doctorsacredPosted 2/28/2014 10:35:40 AM
The cranky hermit posted...
if i would never buy it anyway, who do it hurt?

This is not sound logic. This is flimsy rationalization, and it doesn't bear much scrutiny.

Obviously there are those who WOULD buy it anyway. Plenty of people have enough interest to buy it - do you really think that none of them would get it for free if given the opportunity? That would be absurd, so people ARE pirating instead of buying, which hurts the developers lots.

As for you personally, you have no right to say "I would never buy it anyway" once you make pirating an option. Even considering piracy has lowered a game's value to you - you are rationalizing after the fact, and besides that, the game clearly has SOME value to you if you have enough interest to play it. Put another way, try running a business where anyone can get your services for free as long as they say they wouldn't pay you anyway. See how long you last.

Very good post! As a person whose native language isn't english, it is sometimes hard for me to put exactly these points into words.
---
"Newton invented gravity 'cos some a****** hit him with an apple"
Chris Moltisanti/The Sopranos
#222jaoman69Posted 2/28/2014 12:41:29 PM
they trued anti pirating things like in mass effect 1 where the game didnt work right but people got around it and they always will on PC compared to DRM on an Xbox or PS where hacking is harder.
#223Tyranius2Posted 2/28/2014 12:44:40 PM
Because the semantics arguements are totally legitimate. To equate the theft of a digital copy to the theft of a physical object is downright insane.

Welp, I'm insane then. Stealing is stealing to me, digital or not.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#224Ch3wyPosted 2/28/2014 1:16:19 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
Because the semantics arguements are totally legitimate. To equate the theft of a digital copy to the theft of a physical object is downright insane.

Welp, I'm insane then. Stealing is stealing to me, digital or not.

Correct, you are.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#225Tyranius2Posted 2/28/2014 2:03:13 PM
If anything I respect common thieves more. They have the guts to go into a store to steal and take the risk of getting caught instead of a cheapskate sitting in front of his computer. You agree don't you?
---
#226Ch3wyPosted 2/28/2014 2:06:26 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
If anything I respect common thieves more. They have the guts to go into a store to steal and take the risk of getting caught instead of a cheapskate sitting in front of his computer. You agree don't you?

Last time we had this discussion you had a tantrum and put me on your ignore list. I'm not about to put you through that again, our friendship is more important than that.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#227Tyranius2Posted 2/28/2014 2:26:36 PM
Not a tantrum, it's just that your posts were so moronic that you weren't worth my time. I'm not having a discussion here, I'm asking if you agree that some juvenile cheapskate sitting on his computer with no risk is worse than a guy who at least takes some risk to get what he wants.

If you disagree you're as insane as I am, and if you agree then you agree.

Either way I win.
---
#228Ch3wyPosted 2/28/2014 2:32:07 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
Not a tantrum, it's just that your posts were so moronic that you weren't worth my time. I'm not having a discussion here, I'm asking if you agree that some juvenile cheapskate sitting on his computer with no risk is worse than a guy who at least takes some risk to get what he wants.

Either way I win.

I know we're not having a discussion, that's not what you do. You spout your opinion and have tantrums when people disagree.

But anyways I don't think how cool taking risks makes you has anything to do with the morality of piracy versus physical theft. Unless you think being a badass rebel means you have good morals.
---
#229DaedalusExPosted 2/28/2014 2:32:37 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

Either way I win.

There is no better or worse. Those are your subjective judgements that have no significance outside of your own mind.
#230Tyranius2Posted 2/28/2014 2:34:35 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

Either way I win.

There is no better or worse. Those are your subjective judgements that have no significance outside of your own mind.

This means you disagree with me, so you're insane
---