This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it worth getting into the Mass Effect series?

#31CELTEKKPosted 2/23/2014 1:30:19 AM
Ningishzida posted...
CELTEKK posted...
op was a simple question: is it worth getting?

the short answer is an undeniable yes

So you think herpes is worth getting as well?

Sucks you think that. Although nothing I say is going to make your venereal disease go away. Sorry.
---
3770k @ 4.8ghz
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#32SlaynPosted 2/23/2014 1:37:24 AM
I'm going to add another yes. Even though the third game was a disappointment, the series overall was fantastic. Shame it had to end on such a bad note. Really, the entirety of the third game was bad, not just the ending. I actually had more fun in ME3's multiplayer than the single player.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#33DaedalusExPosted 2/23/2014 1:41:48 AM
ME1 = RPG with shooter elements, interesting story, clunky but stimulating combat
ME2 = Watered down crappy corridor crapfest shooter with RPG elements, crap filler story
ME3 = dog****. Just pure dog****. Seriously, it's basically a Gears of War clone with more dialogue.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that ME1 is the only one worth playing.
#34superdarkshadowPosted 2/23/2014 4:47:00 AM
I would really play them if I were you. The ending might suck, but like they say; it's about the journey, not the destination. The story is actually more about the characters, aliens and their stories, which all get handled pretty well. Shephards journey isn't that interesting itself, he/she is basically just a super hero saving the world, not much different to many other cliché stories. It's the characters that make the story.

About the gameplay, ME1 really tried to be an RPG, but it didn't work out that well and so the focus was put more on the shooting aspect in ME2/3. ME1 can be annoying if you're not really into RPGs, and ME2/3 can feel a little bland. I feel you should play it for the characters though and it's one of the big games of this generation IMO.
---
Corsair TX950W|ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe|Intel Core i5 2500K|CM Hyper 212+|ASUS GTX 670 DC2|Crucial M4 128GB |Samsung Spinpoint F3|CM 690 II Advanced|2x Dell U2312HM
#35nophoriaPosted 2/23/2014 5:15:50 AM
Yes, it's a very polished and enjoyable series.
---
Gatcha|PC Master Race
http://tinyurl.com/k4p9tj2
#36NicodimusPosted 2/23/2014 5:22:03 AM
ME1 is the best, but 2 and 3 are decent enough games. They just couldn't reach the high bar set by ME1.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#37rpgianPosted 2/23/2014 6:32:04 AM
The journey is fine and fun. Rick roll is the destination.
#38ArsenicSteelPosted 2/23/2014 7:57:54 AM
superdarkshadow posted...
I would really play them if I were you. The ending might suck, but like they say; it's about the journey, not the destination.

People say that about a lot of things but only truly applies to one's life and unavoidable death. Optional things like playing a video game series is not something that phrase really covers. The ending to a story is very, very important. Also the journey isn't that great. The journey from ME1 to ME3 is full of growing pains and inconsistency as much of the trilogy was created during the phase where Bioware was changing(multiple resignations and hirings) into EA Bioware that effected the story and focus of the game greatly.

About the gameplay, ME1 really tried to be an RPG, but it didn't work out that well and so the focus was put more on the shooting aspect in ME2/3. ME1 can be annoying if you're not really into RPGs, and ME2/3 can feel a little bland. I feel you should play it for the characters though and it's one of the big games of this generation IMO.

The change in focus was a horrible idea because Bioware is was a company that makes RPGs. ME1 is a great RPG and had combat that matches what one would expect out of Bioware. The cloning Gears for ME2 had a very negative impact on the combat. The shooting felt more responsive but the special powers became lame after thoughts, level design was generic corridors, and chest-high boxes spread everywhere to indicate combat was about to take place.

The marrying of a premier RPG maker with a company known for generic, rushed games was not a beneficial one for gamers looking for enjoyable RPGs. It's great for people that will settle for shiny turds and sources for new memes.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#39spud_almightyPosted 2/23/2014 11:23:42 AM
The game play for the games are fine however the only one with any real story is the original game. The two sequels have the most pathetic story progressions (if you could call it that) I have seen in a while.
#40bluemooglePosted 2/23/2014 12:50:06 PM
Yes, it's worth playing the series at least once.

Mass Effect 1 is a solid game, and very playable on its own if you don't want to get into the whole trilogy. Good story, decent gameplay (starts out weak, but gets much more enjoyable with better equipment and abilities), cool characters.

Mass Effect 2 has greatly improved gameplay, and IMO, better storyline, too. I like the episodic nature and focus on characters. I like Cerberus. The missions are fairly varied with good level design, and a lot of have mini-bosses (vs. the lack of bosses in ME1 and ME3).

Mass Effect 3 didn't live up to its promises, and worse yet, didn't live up to its potential. There are a thousand better ways they could have made that game, but instead they went with some easier design choices. Rather than branching the storyline based on the previous 2 games, they pulled the story together and neutralized most of your previous decisions. It was a total let down. Even on its own merit as an individual game, they tried too hard to be darker and emotional, and it came across as forced and cheesy. The gameplay is fantastic, but the storyline is just so mehhh.

It's an easy series to complain about, and every little imperfection is amplified since everyone had such high hopes. But beyond all that, it's still a fun and entertaining series, and definitely worth the 70-120 hours to beat them all.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.