This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are AMD graphics cards too expensive?

#21Flaktrooper123Posted 2/23/2014 3:42:10 AM
ukemandwnbu posted...
Can someone explain to me what makes NVIDIA better than AMD?

I'm truly curious, since I am looking to get into PC gaming, still learning things as I go, and I am considering buying AMD hardware for Eyefinity and Mantle. I've seen many people express similar sentiments that NVIDIA is preferred over AMD, but me being new to this I would like to know what are some reasons.

Ignoring the price hike caused by bloody miners..

Why AMD
- More Mantle optimized
- Usually aren't voltage locked by default.
- True Audio (some models)

Why Nvidia
- Physx and TXAA
- G Sync
- Nvidia Shield support
- More power efficient

I personally very slightly prefer nvidia over AMD, but that doesn't mean I won't use AMD products if they are good.
#22TropicMoon10Posted 2/23/2014 4:12:24 AM
-CJF- posted...
It's a real shame because AMD used to be great for budget builders. Now they are irrelevant.

Not really. The 7770 and R7 260X are still affordable and really good cards for budget builders.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#23thegreatsquarePosted 2/23/2014 4:25:34 AM
It's OK,I hear Nvidia's 750Ti mines like a 260x for like half the power usage ...and this is before the move to 20nm. So as the line is released Nvidia is going to grab the mining crown. [...or would that be hot potato?]

Now PC game graphics will stagnate due to both consoles and the fact that a majority of PC gamers can only afford second hand GPUs.
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#24DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/23/2014 5:55:35 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
Doesn't AMD and NVIDIA have a duopoly in the gpu market? Back in 2008 they were both accused of price-fixing their video cards. There is a barrier to entry that makes it expensive or impossible to compete with AMD and NVIDIA, probably patent and trade-secret law.

http://www.techpowerup.com/65970/ati-amd-and-nvidia-fix-prices-in-the-us-class-action-slapped-against-them.html

Class actions charged against NVIDIA and ATI (now AMD) reveal that the two companies may have staged a competition over the past half-a-decade or so. A judge read out an email which suggested price fixing was rife in the graphics card market. That follows a class action of 51 different plaintiffs, now combined into one, and across different legal jurisdictions, alleging cartel behaviour not only in graphics chips, but flat panels and CRTs too.

In other words, NVIDIA and ATI may have been fixing prices of their products for a while now, it is believed that they held secret meetings to discuss staged competition, chart out prices, timings of product launches among other things. These pseudo-competitions staged provided improved sales among other things. A PDF File available to us at this point shows that the two indulged in conspiracy to mutually benefit from staged competition, so as to:

-Fix, stabilize, and maintain prices of products in the US Market.
-Artificial inflation of product prices.
Provided, are charts that show price-spread between NVIDIA and ATI products. Three major time-scales: Before the 'conspiracy period', during and after a federal grand jury launched an investigation and issued subpoenas to both companies:

The thing is, competition between the two doesn't show any signs of fixed prices or any communication at all, beyond simple sensibilities.
The price war between HD6850 and GTX460, and again with 7850 and Ti Boost actually suggests the companies are really pushing eachother.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#25sfcalimariPosted 2/23/2014 6:18:26 AM
Bitcoin is a conspiracy between ATI, Nvidia, and electricity companies.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#26Killah PriestPosted 2/23/2014 8:31:36 AM
As someone who has purchased both a reference and a non reference 290x I can say my theory is:

mom and pop stores are buying or receiving most of the initial stocks and trying to rip people off under the guise of "hard to find due to mining"
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#27Killah PriestPosted 2/23/2014 9:29:12 AM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-says-recent-graphics-card-shortage-price-hikes-due-chinese-new-year-litecoin-miners/

lol at anyone that believes the chinese new year excuse.

do they realize these issues have been going on since october?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#28castrejon04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 11:03:42 AM
thegreatsquare posted...
It's OK,I hear Nvidia's 750Ti mines like a 260x for like half the power usage ...and this is before the move to 20nm. So as the line is released Nvidia is going to grab the mining crown. [...or would that be hot potato?]

Now PC game graphics will stagnate due to both consoles and the fact that a majority of PC gamers can only afford second hand GPUs.

260x? There is an even lower lineup than the 270x?
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#29ArkonBladePosted 2/23/2014 1:58:39 PM
I have no brand loyalty to AMD or Nvidia. I go with what works best and is at a great price.

I have a AMD GPU in my PC now but with prices with AMD cards now I will be going Nvidia.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#30darkstar4221Posted 2/23/2014 5:33:55 PM(edited)
reincarnator07 posted...
Oooooor it could just be simple supply and demand.

http://madmikemagee.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/nvid.pdf

Supply and demand my ass, there is no lack of supply in video cards. As stated in the PDF file the cost of the raw materials and components to manufacture a video card is going down, yet the prices of video cards have not.

Obviously there is a barrier to entry. Probably nvidia and amd benefit from Microsoft's monopoly in the home computer market, who knows what type of contract agreements that nvidia and amd have with Microsoft. I know nvidia is very protective of their IP and is known to make code proprietary that's another reason.

The thing is, competition between the two doesn't show any signs of fixed prices or any communication at all, beyond simple sensibilities.
The price war between HD6850 and GTX460, and again with 7850 and Ti Boost actually suggests the companies are really pushing eachother.

As stated in the PDF file, the prices and performances of the video cards are nearly identical and it's true to this day. They are not completely buddy/buddy and they are trying to outdo one and other. But If AMD is not trying to conspire against the public AMD would offer a more bang for your back compared to nvidia products, but they are not, the prices are nearly identical. Compare that to prices of AMD cpus and Intel cpus, AMD offers much lower prices compared to Intel products. Now the cpu market is screwed up because of patent law, I'm guessing nvidia and amd benefits from patent law too.

You can't deny nvidias and amds business practices are monopolistic, they have a legit oligopoly with no other firm competing with these companies for over a decade, I find that strange.