This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

world war one/two games

#1Rodders_Posted 2/23/2014 12:58:34 AM
Hi there I'm currently gathering parts to build my first gaming pc. I was a pc gamer roughly ten years ago during the counter strike 1.5 days before steam but eventually turned to consoles as I was too young to afford a gaming pc. I used to love the day of defeat mod for half life I was just curious what the best world war one or two games are now to get me started when I finally get everything up and running.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a fps just of a world war theme.
#2SienrurouniPosted 2/23/2014 1:02:57 AM
The old Call of Duty games up through 3 were all WW2, and World at War was as well. There are a lot of ww2 rts's as well, but I don't know what ones are good. Sniper v2 is a pretty awesome and fairly recent ww2 game that's definitely worth checking out. It and Velvet Assassin are both stealth based games if you want something a little different from all of the ww2 shooters out there.

WW1 is so rare in games that the only examples I can think of is Hell in The Darkness and a few chapters in Darkest of Days.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#3Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 1:20:26 AM
I loved world at war when I had my console but sadly for me anyway it was the last call of duty even worth of a mention they are all the same now! Which makes me a bit hesitant to try the earlier cods are they any different to the recent ones? The earliest I have play was cod4 mondern warfare. Are there any third person shooters out there ? I heard company of hero's was good can anyone shed any light on this?
#4thatauthorPosted 2/23/2014 1:37:29 AM
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Medal of Honor: Airborne
a bunch of Brother in Arms games
---
Leave it to the atheist to have to explain a religious joke... ~ RaptorLC
#5TowerBooks3192Posted 2/23/2014 1:43:12 AM
Visit matrix games Store and you will find a treasure trove of WW games.

I will recommend Panzer Corps (spiritual successor of panzer general), Advanced Tactics Gold and Decisivr Campaigns series. You could also get Hearts of Iron 3. If you want a lighter grand campaign then go with Strategic Command 2 from battlefront or Commander: Europe at war (commander: the great war is also good.)

If you want something deeper then go with War in the East or War in the pacific or go all out with World in Flames.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#630aught6Posted 2/23/2014 2:17:57 AM
The most recent one I can think of is Rising Storm. I've never played it but it has decent reviews.
Commandos 2 is a good WWII, RTT game, if you're into that. It's probably really cheap on Steam right now.

Also, Battlefield 1942 is free, and so is Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#72Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 2/23/2014 2:22:50 AM
thatauthor posted...
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Medal of Honor: Airborne
a bunch of Brother in Arms games

---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#8g7g7g7g7Posted 2/23/2014 2:51:48 AM
For a recent FPS go for Red Orchestra / Rising Storm still has an active community and its the most atmospheric and intense FPS I have ever played.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#9MariachiOfDoomPosted 2/23/2014 3:13:06 AM
Rodders_ posted...
I loved world at war when I had my console but sadly for me anyway it was the last call of duty even worth of a mention they are all the same now! Which makes me a bit hesitant to try the earlier cods are they any different to the recent ones? The earliest I have play was cod4 mondern warfare. Are there any third person shooters out there ? I heard company of hero's was good can anyone shed any light on this?

Company of heroes is pretty great. Its got some interesting mechanics like a cover system, and Its focused more on combat and tactics than resource management, if that's your thing. Personally my strategically simple brain likes that aspect of it a lot.

If you're into the singleplayer CoD games, the first 2 are easily the best in my opinion. They were much more singleplayer focused, with some pretty good mission variety, and a fairly decent length if I recall.
---
Hey look, a signature!
#10maybecallsPosted 2/23/2014 3:26:57 AM
Already mentioned, but I would definitely recommend Call of Duty 2. I think it's the best game in the series.