This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a way to transfer a game with it's content onto another computer?

#1SuperMario1998Posted 2/23/2014 6:36:53 AM
I know this is probably a noobish question, but I don't use my computer for games that often, but I recently upgraded to a better computer that can play games well, and I wanted to transfer the other games I had over. Anyways, I tried copying The Binding of Isaac onto a USB and pasting onto the other computer. It worked fine, but the progress wasn't there. I copied the same file I always click to start the game (and ensured it wasn't a shortcut). Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance for responses,
---
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
#2AsellusPosted 2/23/2014 7:18:15 AM
Copy the save file over from the original computer and put it in the same place on the second. Ie, if a game keeps its saves in c:user/me/my documents/my games/whatever on the one computer it should be placed in the same place on the second.

What makes this possibly a bit headache inducing is that there's not really any standard for save game locations. Some will put in the my games folder, some will just stick them in their own folder under documents, others will have them somewhere in the .appdata folder, some will keep them in the program folder itself, so on and etc.
#3GarquillPosted 2/23/2014 7:50:39 AM
and some games will use Steam Cloud and you won't need to transfer your save file over

but yeah, you only need the save file, not the whole game installation, unless you don't want to redownload the game
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#4Rolen47Posted 2/23/2014 7:56:40 AM
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/34600/where-does-the-binding-of-isaac-store-its-saved-data

You need to copy the file that's in APPDATA too.
#5SuperMario1998(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 10:15:14 AM
Thank you for the quick responses. I will try that as quick as possible, exactly what I was looking for.
---
If you have 4 pencils and 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
#6PhilOnDezPosted 2/23/2014 10:30:58 AM
Just for future reference a lot of games keep their save data in My Documents even if that's on a completely different disk so you'll need to copy that over as well.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez