This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wake up tonight, Windows installed a critical update, screws up computer

#1jake-sfPosted 2/23/2014 11:44:23 AM
This problem is actually fixed by the time I'm writing this, but I'm not in a happy mood.

I have windows updated OFF. ALWAYS. It is an incredibly crucial element in my mind of any windows installation. Windows updates out of nowhere and screws with your stuff. Period. You do NOT want updates, and today proves it again.

Despite it being off, somehow during the night (according to the log right after I went to sleep), the computer updated windows with a critical update. This critical update screwed a few things here and there in my computer, including not recognizing my old CRT properly and forcing an improper refresh rate, my graphic drivers didn't seem to work right, and other small things, like my 3.0 USB ports not working half the time for no reason whatsoever.

What the hell, lets system restore. Blue screen, won't boot anymore. Had to beat myself up on windows repair after that (had a few small problems there just to piss me off) but the system repair worked fine, computer is back to normal.

I have a question for anyone that knows anything about windows. How the **** do you ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY prevent windows from updating EVER again? I do NOT understand how an update happened without my consent considering I turn everything off, but its unacceptable. I have never had a positive automatic windows update experience so far and I really don't need to deal with this **** in the morning.

Share your thoughts. Or don't. I had to vent.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#2ShubPosted 2/23/2014 11:46:27 AM(edited)
jake-sf posted...
I'm not in a happy mood.

You never seem to be anyway, based on your posts here :)

That said, I have never encountered this issue. I've had automatic updates turned on since Windows Update came into existence and I'm a strong proponent of always having everything up-to-date as far as your OS is concerned.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3EGMRULZPosted 2/23/2014 2:58:25 PM
I turn off windows updates and disconnect the ethernet port right before going to bed to avoid nasty surprises like this when I wake up the next morning.

To answer your other question:
-Control panel --> System and Security --> Windows Update --> Change Settings --> change that sheeet to Never check for Updates from the drop-down box.
---
PC & Consoles > Everything
#4jake-sf(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 3:02:52 PM
I'm happier away from the computer these days. Which says something.

To EGMRULZ: Yeah, thats what I did. Thats what I always do. But it changed itself, obviously, since I had to put it back to Never check for updates. So it changed itself.

Its not the first time I hear that the setting changes itself.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#5JKatarnPosted 2/23/2014 4:47:33 PM(edited)
You are FAR FAR more likely to have your system "screwed with"/encounter issues by not installing Windows updates. I can't personally recall a single time that installing an update made my system unstable/clashed with any of my programs, though I'm sure it has happened to people on occasion.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#6arleasPosted 2/23/2014 7:45:44 PM
I've had bad updates screw things up but not to the extent that TC says. I have my updates set to just notify me of the update but I also have my computer turned off when I'm not there so I don't get any surprises when I wake up either...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#7KangXiPosted 2/23/2014 8:20:41 PM
Sounds like a case of paranoia to me lol. Probably the fact that you don't install updates messed with your system when one finally did get installed.

But with my 20+ years of using computers... Never had an update mess up anything. And as a technician of managed servers, those updates are pretty important for security reasons. Only updates we don't install are for ASP.net since upgrading to a new service pack could break some older websites and cause angry customers.
#8AnatomyHorrorPosted 2/23/2014 8:24:12 PM
I remember an update maybe 6 months to a year ago that really jacked up some stuff on Windows 7. I really can't recall specifics though.
#9Fade2black001Posted 2/23/2014 8:37:34 PM
This is why I have Updates turned off
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#10Orestes417Posted 2/23/2014 9:00:19 PM
and that is why updates should be incapable of being turned off. Google at least got that part right.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together