This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Programs freezing a lot for me. What could be the issue?

#1CuteButtShyPosted 2/23/2014 12:41:14 PM
I have like 350+ free gb hd space, usually about 1.4 gb of open ram, and really low cpu usage. I checked for viruses and couldn't find any.
What are some likely causes?
What are some things a computer clueless person like myself can do to try and resolve the problem?
---
MMMMMWWWWWWWWWMMMMMMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMWWMMMMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMWWWM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMMWWMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMWWWM MMMMMWWWMWM
#2CuteButtShy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 3:40:06 PM
le bump xD
---
MMMMMWWWWWWWWWMMMMMMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMWWMMMMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMWWWM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMMWWMM MMMMMWWWWWWWMMMMMWWWM MMMMMWWWMWM
#3-5xad0w-Posted 2/23/2014 3:43:11 PM
Freezing as in a hard lock? Or just stopping for a few seconds?

Do you have to just kill the program or reboot?

Screen stops moving, goes blank or BSOD?

Sorry, but freezing can be taken to mean a lot of things with a PC.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#4CuteButtShy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 4:31:36 PM
-5xad0w- posted...
Freezing as in a hard lock? Or just stopping for a few seconds?

Do you have to just kill the program or reboot?

Screen stops moving, goes blank or BSOD?

Sorry, but freezing can be taken to mean a lot of things with a PC.

(program not responding) kind of thing. I have to force close
Sometimes if I give it a little bit of time it will clear up, but often it seems not to.
---
#5CuteButtShy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 12:50:33 PM
Final bump
---
#6New LinkPosted 2/24/2014 1:00:34 PM
Sounds like either your RAM or CPU gets overloaded. Keep open htop or whatever your task manager of choice is and find the culprit.

Generally what happens when a program temporarily stops responding is that it's run out of ram and starts to work off of your Swap partition (or a swap (page) file, throwing random bits all over your filesystem, in Window's case) which is literally thousands of times slower than working off of your physical RAM.

Make sure you don't have any programs running that you don't need. Take a look at your startup applications (if you tell me what OS you're using, i can guide you through this). take a look at what packages/programs you have installed and apply the good ole sysadmin logic to it (if you don't need it, don't have it installed)
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#7CuteButtShy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 5:05:47 PM
mac os x
---
#8New LinkPosted 2/25/2014 5:34:25 AM
"Apple" button on the panel -> System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!