This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The (Original) Legend of Zelda on the Oculus Rift.

#21nophoriaPosted 2/24/2014 4:58:49 AM
Wow that is too cool, I would be really interested in picking one of up eventually.
---
Gatcha|PC Master Race
http://tinyurl.com/k4p9tj2
#22cjburn851Posted 2/24/2014 6:23:26 AM
Ch3wy posted...
cjburn851 posted...

I also read that the consumer version was hopefully releasing towards the end of 2013.

I have a feeling that information may not be accurate.

Yeah, that's just what it says on the website. Maybe this year some time they might release it?

Also, apparently there's a shortage of components that are used in the developer kit, so they're
suspending shipment due to low inventory.

Just my luck.

Here's the link - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/oculus-rift-suspends-shipments-due-to-component-shortage/1100-6417916/
---
Gaming in the 90's > Everything else
#23GoIrish80Posted 2/24/2014 6:59:20 AM
The final consumer version of this device cannot come day enough.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#24-5xad0w-(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 11:31:29 AM
cjburn851 posted...
Just a few questions regarding the Oculus Rift. I was intrigued when I first heard about this
device.
I visited the site for some info, and see that they only have the developer kit for order. I also
read that the consumer version was hopefully releasing towards the end of 2013.

What is the difference between the developer/consumer version?

...And if I was to order the developer kit, would it work just the same (to play games with) as
the consumer version?

I would not suggest ordering a dev kit even though I own one. It's cool, but very rough.

Retrofitting games via drivers works to a degree, but the Rift needs more native software before I'd start telling people to rush out and buy one.

More importantly the retail release should be around the same price AND be superior.

The difference between dev and retail basically comes down to:

Dev kit is 1280x800 (little over 720p) while the retail will be at least 1080p.

Retail should have less movement latency/blurring when you look around quickly. (while the latency on the dev kit is super low, it's thought to be the main cause of motion/sim sickness)

Via an external camera the retail release will be able to read the exact position of your head and whether you are ducking or leaning, two natural movements that aren't currently possible with the dev kit.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven