This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a new monitor. Anyone mind giving me advice?

#1gldooriiPosted 2/23/2014 3:12:34 PM
Hey guys. I had a 24" Dell LCD monitor I bought..yikes..maybe 6 years ago? that was all shiny with 1080p, HDMI, etc.. all that good stuff at the time and it ended up crapping out on me this weekend. I'm using an old spare 21" analog monitor while I try to figure out what I should get to replace this one. I've been out of the monitor scene for awhile and I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for.. LED? IPS LED? etc.. I do game on my PC here and there and I'd really like something that would look good with my 360/PS3 hooked up to it as well. The 24" I had before had lots of ghosting and was even a bit fuzzy through HDMI and I couldn't really take it..

I don't really wanna break the bank, but maybe something good for around $200ish? I don't mind sticking with a 21" either.

Any specific brand I should look for? Is it fine just going to Best Buy or would I get a better/cheaper deal on Newegg or something?

Thanks for the help
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#2dormcastePosted 2/23/2014 3:20:15 PM
ASUS has great 120/144Hz offerings. If you're looking for IPS most IPS panels these days come with nasty anti-glare coating that depreciates their value because it f**** with the color. I'd advise getting an ASUS LED 144Hz display. Although if your GPUs don't push your frames to 120+ then I'd say just get a regular old 23/24" ASUS or SAMSUNG display. The best IPS displays are from Korea and they don't come with warranties.
#3gldoorii(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 3:29:08 PM
What does "120/144Hz" mean? I'm looking for that on descriptions on the Best Buy site (i have $150 gift card, so trying to stick with there) and I see "Screen Refresh" some say 60Hz and some say 75Hz.

I assume I'm looking at the wrong thing?
---
PSN - gldoorii
Live - xgldooriix
#4AcquirePosted 2/23/2014 3:45:20 PM
You're probably not going to find higher quality gaming monitors at best buy. I would personally wait until Asus' new 2560x1440 g sync monitor releases in a few months.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#5jedinatPosted 2/23/2014 4:03:27 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6CELTEKKPosted 2/23/2014 4:03:28 PM
Acquire posted...
You're probably not going to find higher quality gaming monitors at best buy. I would personally wait until Asus' new 2560x1440 g sync monitor releases in a few months.

yep, this. as long as you have an nvidia gpu. this is what i'm waiting for.
---
3770k @ 4.8ghz
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk