This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for religion based story game...any suggestions

#1lazy_titanPosted 2/23/2014 4:03:56 PM
I know this may seem odd but really like religion based games and looking for one to play and was hopping to get some ideas.

Example of past games I have loved

Final Fantasy Tactics (the PSX version)
Summoner (PS2)
Early Assassin Creed games (before became the story that never ends)
Final Fantasy X
Arcanum(Its been along time but think that was the one)

I know there are others but I cant think of more I have really liked. Doesn't necessarily have to be a RPG or Fantasy game but they usually are best at that sort of thing.
---
On the internet you can be anything you want...
Why do so many people choose to be stupid?
#2calcyclePosted 2/23/2014 4:05:56 PM
Shin Megami Tensei is like the definitive Religion game, if you haven't checked it out you might as well.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#3MirageVXPosted 2/23/2014 4:08:28 PM
Xenosaga 1 - 3
---
I5 2500K | GIGABYTE Z68MA | 8GB PATRIOT | 1TB WD C.BLACK | EVGA GTX570HD | HAF 932 | OCZ PSU 700W | LG 22" @ 1920X1080 | WIN7 64BIT
#4r7gerrabbitPosted 2/23/2014 4:15:59 PM(edited)
Broken Sword has plenty of religious themes in it. But they dont shove it down your throat. Everything revolves around religion, but they don't outright say so.

Pick 5 up, and if you like then play 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are pretty poor.

Point and click adventure games. 5 starts out after a painting gets stolen. You quickly hear a priest equating the painting to demons. And off it goes from there.
Note: There are no actual demons.
---
Sig.
#5pwnater777Posted 2/23/2014 4:15:12 PM
Skyrim

Hail Dovahkiin.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#6PraetorXynPosted 2/23/2014 4:20:08 PM
Binding of Isaac
Shin Megami Tensei
A large number of other JRPG's, usually involving the same plot (Grandia 2, FFX, plenty of others. I think that particular plot can be traced back to Breath of Fire 2)
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#7lazy_titan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 4:30:05 PM
With Shin Megami Tensei series ( I think there are 4) do you have to play them sequential?

Xenosage games I liked first one but really fell out of it in the second won.

Broken Sword Will the story make sense just starting on the 5th one?

I have played enough of Skyrim I need a break.
---
On the internet you can be anything you want...
Why do so many people choose to be stupid?
#8PraetorXynPosted 2/23/2014 4:34:03 PM
lazy_titan posted...
With Shin Megami Tensei series ( I think there are 4) do you have to play them sequential?

No. But if you play 3 first, it will be hard to go back to 1 and 2, and 2 has a very interesting boss battle near the end of the game.

Xenosage games I liked first one but really fell out of it in the second won.

Didn't play them, though I loved Xenogears. I bought the damn things, they're still sitting shrink wrapped on a shelf at my parents' house.

Broken Sword Will the story make sense just starting on the 5th one?

Didn't play them either

I have played enough of Skyrim I need a break.

---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#9PhilOnDezPosted 2/23/2014 4:37:36 PM
SMT and and the Persona spinoff series.

Pretty much every final fantasy has (anti)religious influences. It's not always the focus like Tactics/X, it's usually a lot more subtle.

Tales of Symphonia has a bit of a similar sentiment as Final Fantasy though it's at the forefront rather than the subtext.

Dead Space 1-3/Mobile revolve around the shenanigans of the Church of Unitology, it's a made up religion but it's strongly inspired by Scientology.

Mass Effect is a hamfisted Jesus allegory.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10Omnipotent_CowPosted 2/23/2014 4:42:48 PM
Inquisitor sounds exactly like what you're looking for.