This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Seriously???.....I need some help.

#1psprulz2007Posted 2/23/2014 4:12:52 PM
So I built my mom her new PC. New parts all around. Even got her a fresh install of Windows 8. I created a local account in her name and gave it a simple password. When she came to pick up the computer I showed her how to turn it on, sign in and a general idea tour of windows 8.

She calls me up (3 hours after she gets the computer home) and she has somehow screwed up. She changed the password but now cannot sign back into her account. My only guess is she managed to misspell the password she wanted twice and saved it. Thus now she cannot sign into her computer. She is the only user on the computer and did not sign into her live account. Just a normal basic local account.

Ive tried googling but the only thing I can find requires her to boot from the windows 8 disk and do another clean install. Considering she lacks any real smarts when it comes to computers and Im to far away to simple go over and figure this out (im not exactly a software smart guy) I figure maybe you guys might know a trick or two on how to solve this.

My first thought was to just create a new account and start over but I guess you cannot create another account from the sign in screen. I tried to talk her into booting from the disk and repairing or restoring but she is saying she gets an error message saying something along the lines of the HDD being locked and needs to be unlocked in order to restore/refresh.

Anything you guys got to help?
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
Help save a life www.twitch.tv/feelinkorny
#2MasterthiefPosted 2/23/2014 4:33:03 PM
did you try safe mode?
#3psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 4:34:58 PM
Masterthief posted...
did you try safe mode?

I can only help her via phone call. If I have her boot into safe mode what would be the next steps id have to take?
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#4WyzeGyePosted 2/23/2014 4:43:11 PM
Did she link it with her hotmail account? that would make her login password the same as her email.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#5psprulz2007(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 4:46:11 PM
WyzeGye posted...
Did she link it with her hotmail account? that would make her login password the same as her email.

Nope she sure didn't. My plan now is to create a recovery disk and drop it off to her tomorrow on my way to work and let her go that route. Seems like the easiest way.
---
GT/PSN- Feelinkorny
#6MasterthiefPosted 2/23/2014 6:47:40 PM
psprulz2007 posted...
Masterthief posted...
did you try safe mode?

I can only help her via phone call. If I have her boot into safe mode what would be the next steps id have to take?

Not sure, I've never booted safe mode before in Win8, sorry I can't be of more help.
#7ShubPosted 2/23/2014 6:52:49 PM
Since it's a new computer why don't you just spend an hour reinstalling Windows for her instead of just dropping off a recovery disc?
Then create an admin account to which you have the password, and an account for her...
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8-5xad0w-Posted 2/23/2014 7:01:25 PM(edited)
Was the password less than 14 characters long?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm

*edit*

This is smaller and can be ran from a USB. (you have to install the program and create the USB bootable as far as i understand)

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Password-Recovery-Tool/3000-2092_4-10964595.html

Haven't used it myself, but my buddy who works at a pawn shop uses it when they get PW protected systems.

---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#9AlmightyDrizzlePosted 2/23/2014 7:14:11 PM
I know this may be a obvious question but I know my mom does it all the time. Is caps lock on?
---
12/21/2012 - Microsoft and EA merge
#10Davel23Posted 2/23/2014 7:17:35 PM
Shub posted...
Since it's a new computer why don't you just spend an hour reinstalling Windows for her instead of just dropping off a recovery disc?
Then create an admin account to which you have the password, and an account for her...

And install TeamViewer...
---
Your mom's box.