This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Casually embarking on a briefcase build.

#1SmallerRidleyPosted 2/23/2014 8:26:08 PM
Wanted a new-ish PC with reasonable portability, so I've been looking around for a while now at small-ish towers as well as some custom stuff.

What I've found to be mostly what I'm looking for is: http://www.overclock.net/t/1206406/feb-2012-motm-winner-lando-a-suitcase-briefcase-computer-done-right

What I haven't done is commit to anything in particular, so what I'll ask here is for any suggestions for either small-ish/portable towers that can reasonably house a i7 4770k (not overclocked initially) and a low/mid-grade video card. Or if anyone has experience in making a similar custom build, the best way to go about it, eg. making a sub-chassis, finding a low-profile PSU, air/water-cooler sizing, etc.

Also, I'm in no sort of rush, since I don't really need a new computer for any particular reason (except to play Dark Souls II at a reasonable framerate).
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#2ZalteraPosted 2/24/2014 1:52:09 AM
The Lian-Li TU200B could be worth a look.
---
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000
#3MaKhaosPosted 2/24/2014 1:56:26 AM
I got really scared the exposed PSU is gonna kill the guy.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#4SmallerRidley(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 3:57:09 PM
Zaltera posted...
The Lian-Li TU200B could be worth a look.

That does sound like a really good option. What I'm thinking now is eventually buying up the parts and getting the tool-box (it's cheap enough), then if it seems like too much hassle just go with the tower instead.

After also talking it over with some guys at work, the next question is for how to go about CPU cooling because of the low-ish clearance between the motherboard and the PSU. An idea was to go with liquid like the Corsair H80i and replace the built in 140mm fan on the tower with that fan, but then it's a matter of blowing hotter air into the tower.

None of that is an issue with the briefcase, but it's still a question.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods