This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

alpha protocol worth 3.75?

#1Blueandwhite87Posted 2/23/2014 10:56:54 PM
the steam sale is ending for it and I hear it has the best choices of any game ever created but how true is this? can my choices really change the story or will my story almost be the same everytime?
#2steveboblarryPosted 2/23/2014 11:02:23 PM
Yes
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#3Blueandwhite87(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 11:05:47 PM
thanks for a yes but can i get a why? its not that the price matters its the fact my hardrive is small and wondering if its worth making space for?
#4PokenubPosted 2/23/2014 11:16:34 PM
It's got the whole Deus Ex style thing where you can pick what type of character you want to play.

Although not as broad.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#5Majoras_pantsPosted 2/23/2014 11:38:10 PM
It's worth $50
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#6electroflamePosted 2/23/2014 11:50:36 PM(edited)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/68600153

That's where I asked the same thing, pretty much.

The short version, though, is yes. I've yet to play it, but the consensus was that it was totally worth $4.

EDIT: Also, it was only ~10GB, I think.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#7SlaynPosted 2/24/2014 12:03:39 AM
I bought the game years ago when it first came out. I was hesitant to play it, but once I did, I was hooked. The game was VERY good. Imagine a better version of the Mass Effect conversation system with a Metal Gear Solid-esque type of gameplay.

The conversations can actually change how the game plays out, and it rewards you more for getting people to actually like or hate you. Sometimes pissing people off can be a good thing.

It has a strange level up system though, it has that Deus Ex thing where you need to put points in a weapon type, otherwise it will be near useless.

The best way to play the game is generally stealthy with pistols, and late game pistols are just too damned good. You get abilities to use like in Mass Effect, and the piston one lets you basically freeze and get off 5 headshots or something. Also for stealth you get a power that means you can walk around for about 10 seconds with no way to detect you. You can even knock people out without being detected, and there was another power to reset cooldowns. So I could easily take out whole rooms near the end. So the game is kind of easy to break near the end. Some parts at the beginning are a real challenge.

I really enjoyed the stealth gameplay and doing a no-kill run. The game is buggy though, and controls are a bit wonky. I used a controller because it worked better, but the lockpick mini-game is near impossible with a controller because it doesn't work well with the deadzone. I even tuned the deadzone using a program with my controller, and it didn't work. I just took EMP grenades to disable crap instead.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#8RogueStrikerPosted 2/24/2014 12:18:26 AM
It's worth the $2 I spent on it.

Watch the angry joe video to see how buggy it is.
---
Gotta love Photon Cannon.
1934-1042-4099
#9Dark_SpiretPosted 2/24/2014 12:27:18 AM
in terms of the choice/consequence system the game gives you a lot of options in how conversations go and there effects both in the short and long term. i wouldnt say theres anything as significant as the witcher 2's ch1 end choice(in that it COMPLETELY changes the outcome of the levels), but AP's choices are far more persistent in the level design. Saving a character over here might alter enemy resistance in a later level. killing this person now could result in less intel options which means going into an area with unknown enemies and less resources/equipment. destroying or saving certain data could mean a friendly not helping with a boss battle or other later encounters. its stuff like that, but it seems like every single missions has certain ramifications or positives based on what youve done in earlier conversations or missions. Same goes for specific characters helping you. some people you meet in the first few hours of the game might not show up until the very end(or at all) based on how you treated them. its stuff like that which makes AP choice system so impressive and why its other janky unpolished aspects can somewhat be forgiven.
---
Currently playing: Darksiders - Crysis 2 - Skyrim
#10akuma634Posted 2/24/2014 1:08:13 AM
It's really hard to regret spending under $4. I played it years ago and rage quit. Upon playing a bit of it on PC for the first time, it's very frustrating for reasons like horribly designed minigames (alarms, computer hacking, and lock picking.) The gameplay itself is serviceable, the core concept is that you can play like the 3 JB's, Bond, Bauer, and Bourne. I hate stealth, but you do get the option to shoot your way through and deal with the consequences, it can be a big pain but brute force does work. The shooting is ok, it is very stat based being a game with the heart of a RPG so it depends on your skills and what each gun is capable of like range and recoil. Those minigames can be downright hair yanking rage and the tutorials aren't very useful so you'll have to get used to it. But being an Obsidian game, the writing is top notch. If you can look past some glaring flaws and standard gameplay, there is a cool game in there. Too bad there's not mod support because that could have really helped so much.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Zu6jtNK.jpg
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634