This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want MMORPGs to tell you a story?

#1thedeadman568Posted 2/24/2014 4:16:06 AM
Personally, I think the direction with story telling in MMORPGs is a horrible idea.
I want to make my own story, based on my experiences in the game, not get a story shoved down my throat that every other character has, too.
It also really takes immersion out of the world, when a story event that happened months ago for my character is still happening around me for other characters.

What's your opinion on this? Do you like following a story, or do you prefer games were the world actually feels like one.
---
do what a man would and show of your manhood
#2PokenubPosted 2/24/2014 4:24:22 AM
Well, from playing Path of Exile and Neverwinter recently, I can tell you one thing.

MMO stories are a waste of programming time..

I never once cared why I was killing things, I just liked it. It doesn't need to be my own story, it doesn't need to be a complex backstory with 2000 years of history logged, just let me mess around and kill stuff.

The same problem I had with Skyrim, they put so much effort into the books, none of which I cared about apart from the ones that gave me a level.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3King of CatsPosted 2/24/2014 4:44:59 AM
The biggest problem is so many MMOs pretend to have some sorta deep lore and meaningful quest decisions... but no, the lore is only there in maybe the tutorial and a pvp faction split, quest decisions do ****all.

Either do it right or don't pretend you have it.
---
This world is made of...
LOVE AND PEACE!
#4thedeadman568(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 4:54:11 AM
King of Cats posted...
The biggest problem is so many MMOs pretend to have some sorta deep lore and meaningful quest decisions... but no, the lore is only there in maybe the tutorial and a pvp faction split, quest decisions do ****all.

Either do it right or don't pretend you have it.

That's part of what I mean, why did I kill that random boss if he's still alive, it kinda makes every part of story a joke instantly.
---
#5Silent Sniper IVPosted 2/24/2014 4:57:09 AM
Just give us a world and let us play in it. Have the lore available but minimalistic. Everquest is still my favorite game world and it didn't need to jam a story down our throats. The story was the game.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#6thedeadman568(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2014 4:59:24 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Just give us a world and let us play in it. Have the lore available but minimalistic. Everquest is still my favorite game world and it didn't need to jam a story down our throats. The story was the game.

Yeah the original Everquest was great. But I think Star Wars Galaxies did it best.
---
#7Hi CPosted 2/24/2014 5:13:36 AM
Lore yes, story no.

Story is part of what destroyed MMO's.

Making everyone go through same scripted nonsense isn't an MMO. It's a single player RPG with an online component.
---
You'll be my John G.
#8SuperSuikodenPosted 2/24/2014 5:29:38 AM
No, I just want to enjoy the game.
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#9aieownyuPosted 2/24/2014 5:30:51 AM
I just want my epic lootz
#10DoomkillaPosted 2/24/2014 5:37:22 AM
I really love world pvp in mmos. They're my favorite part and why I played DCUO as long as I did. I'd like for them to really emphasis on that. Huge ass battles that have multiple layers of command.
---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred