This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want MMORPGs to tell you a story?

#11samurai1900Posted 2/24/2014 6:42:54 AM
I don't know... As an ex-Runescape player and ex-Quest Point Cape owner, I found many quests interesting and engaging, not that fetch-and-kill **** I hear so often about many other MMOs.

Single player games need to kick it up a notch in comparison, I say, at the very least for the modern ones.
---
For Shuppet fans and lovers - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ShuppetForLife
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#12Benjamin_ButtonPosted 2/24/2014 6:49:57 AM
Hi C posted...
Lore yes, story no.

Story is part of what destroyed MMO's.

Making everyone go through same scripted nonsense isn't an MMO. It's a single player RPG with an online component.

B_B never says this, so revel in this rare event...but.... QFMfT man!

#EpicPost #B_Bapproved
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#13zonobiaPosted 2/24/2014 7:06:12 AM
Playing through the Chains of Promathia storyline in Final Fantasy XI with my linkshell was probably the best experience I've EVER had in an MMO. Anything else I've done in that game or others...from grinding exp, to endless Dungeon/Raids, to pvp.....NOTHING was as fun as experiencing CoP with friends.
#14LukeSkyvvalkerPosted 2/24/2014 7:28:46 AM
No.
---
Commentary: The meatbag speaks without clarity. Detail this agreement or the master will splatter your organs all over the floor! -- HK-47
#15soulofillushaPosted 2/24/2014 8:08:45 AM
Hi C posted...
Lore yes, story no.

Story is part of what destroyed MMO's.

Making everyone go through same scripted nonsense isn't an MMO. It's a single player RPG with an online component.

You and I are of the same mind, friend.
#16SinisterSlayPosted 2/24/2014 8:20:11 AM
No, varied quests is all I ask for, not just kill x and collect y of z quests over and over.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17atopp399Posted 2/24/2014 8:52:36 AM(edited)
I like having some sort of backstory and lore. I like to know why I am killing the stuff and especially the epic bosses. I want to know why they need to be destroyed instead of left alone in their deep, dark dungeons. I don't like to play the game the same way I play something like the turn based Final Fantasy games though. I want the story to be something optional I can go learn about.
#18DetectivPenguinPosted 2/24/2014 9:01:22 AM
Wow, surprised I am in the minority on this, story quests are my favorite parts in MMOs, perhaps thats why I sing praises to the old republic so much, I really like how it was done in guild wars 1 as well. Wish more MMO used that sort of format.
---
What is today but yesterday's tomorrow?
#19DarthSchubertPosted 2/24/2014 9:03:13 AM
I also don't want them to tell me a story. Things like world events though are always great - I have to say all the times I have had the most fun in MMOs are large world events. Not raids, not levelling, not dungeons, etc.

Separately, while I don't want MMOs to tell me a story, I do want to be able to explore and learn the game world's backstory. I find a rich, interesting game world really drives my enjoyment of an MMO. And I like to find that story out in the game world itself; not in instanced dungeons or raids where I have a huge number of other players wanting me to hurry up.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#20zhenghanPosted 2/24/2014 9:04:11 AM
why would you want endless fetch quests instead of actual story?
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish