This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you want MMORPGs to tell you a story?

#21SinisterSlayPosted 2/24/2014 9:14:51 AM
zhenghan posted...
why would you want endless fetch quests instead of actual story?

As if that matters
"We need to stop the advance of their army. They have 1 weakness, their fiery hearts. Go kill tainted soldiers and collect 30 fiery hearts and bring them back to me"

Does that sound familiar? That's a story driven fetch quest.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22HipsterrrPosted 2/24/2014 9:27:36 AM
samurai1900 posted...
I don't know... As an ex-Runescape player and ex-Quest Point Cape owner, I found many quests interesting and engaging, not that fetch-and-kill **** I hear so often about many other MMOs.

Single player games need to kick it up a notch in comparison, I say, at the very least for the modern ones.

Runescape has the best quests ever, man. Nowadays, everything requires some bs like kill 25 wyverns or bring back 30 flowers.
#23OldSorrowPosted 2/24/2014 9:28:54 AM
Blade and Soul 2014 has a nice cinematic and action based way of telling you a story.
---
If you don't use Throwback Mode for a full week while logged in, you will lose access.
#24zhenghanPosted 2/24/2014 9:38:03 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
zhenghan posted...

As if that matters
"We need to stop the advance of their army. They have 1 weakness, their fiery hearts. Go kill tainted soldiers and collect 30 fiery hearts and bring them back to me"

that's a fetch quest...
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
#25SinisterSlayPosted 2/24/2014 9:43:10 AM(edited)
zhenghan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
zhenghan posted...

As if that matters

that's a fetch quest...

Every MMO quest is a fetch quest. When you add story, you get a story fetch quest.

Here's a regular fetch quest for comparison

I hear your helping people, can you get me 30 fiery hearts from the tainted soldiers.

The difference, one has a loose tie in with the story arc, the other does not.

So far the only MMO I have seen not have story fetch quests and have actual story instead is Star Trek Online, which has complete episodes instead.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#26zhenghanPosted 2/24/2014 9:45:26 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
zhenghan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
zhenghan posted...

As if that matters

that's a fetch quest...

Every MMO quest is a fetch quest. When you add story, you get a story fetch quest.

Here's a regular fetch quest for comparison

I hear your helping people, can you get me 30 fiery hearts from the tainted soldiers.

The difference, one has a loose tie in with the story arc, the other does not.

So far the only MMO I have seen not have story fetch quests and have actual story instead is Star Trek Online, which has complete episodes instead.

guild wars 2 doesn't have any fetch quests
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
#27SpideyknightPosted 2/24/2014 9:47:44 AM
I don't understand why it has to be binary? Why can't we have both? The gameplay should be easy to implement by now. Pick one of a litany of possibilities and make it not suck, or copy and paste one that already doesn't suck. Then put in a story. This should not be complicated.

No one was more disappointed at Star Wars failure than I. I really wanted that game to succeed and just murder everything else. Alas, it was not meant to be.
---
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.
#28InfinityOver0Posted 2/24/2014 9:49:53 AM
there's nothing wrong with having a barebones story and tons of side quests, but like someone else said if you flesh it out to much, the game becomes too scripted and is just an RPG with online components.

i played wow for years but i remember before getting into it i expected a much stronger story. there is tons of lore, but not really much of a coherent story. i think it's the instance dungeons that force team work that really set mmorpg's apart from single player rpg's
---
6>10>3>9>5>4>1>12>7>2>8>13
#29SinisterSlayPosted 2/24/2014 9:50:47 AM
zhenghan posted...
<
guild wars 2 doesn't have any fetch quests

So that's two games....
So far our list is pretty pathetic...
---
#30Killah PriestPosted 2/24/2014 9:55:56 AM
I think MMORPGS should have a quest line, something you could solo that mostly helps you advance your character and learn the game mechanics.

MMORPGS that just throw you in a world and say HAVE FUN... the worst.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.